Dumbest World card ever?

Pixna

Oh crud, I just realized the cards on that page are done by different people for some reason.
The Death card is by someone named Elizabeth.

Ooooh. No wonder it looked so different (and I liked it).

Pixna

I love his hanged man card, and the fool card is a totally different style, it's not bad.
I knew what he was trying to depict, but even done wonderfully, and with a closed mouth, I don't think a chakra opening up is all that aligned with the many meanings the world card takes on. What would be interesting is if someone did a tree with a chakra opening up... that tree could have a trunk with a mouth like The Scream, and a face you can barely make out. But, it would have to be not creepy. Although when we break through to higher consciousness, it's not always pretty. Shamans go through a lot of sweaty surreality before it's all said and done. I feel like a judge on project runway, except for that nobody asked for my opinion. ;)

I like his Hanged Man card too -- but it looks more like the Hermit to me.

Haha! That's funny about Project Runway. :D

ravenest

Oh crud, I just realized the cards on that page are done by different people for some reason.
The Death card is by someone named Elizabeth.

Ok, so back to feeling bad about picking on someone.

Dont you mean; feel bad about including Elizabeths better work as his?

Look ... its bad art, bad tarot card and a lot of people think so ... does everything have to be white washed and painted with feel-good, pat on the back, you are okay and then have rose coloured glasses slipped over the screen nowadays ... I mean ... sheeeeesh !

Harden up Princesses !

Some people will not like our good work and others have the honesty to point out when it isnt up to scratch ... what is one to do? ... go away and sulk about it and feel personally attacked ... or try again and do a much better job.

Seriously ... going on that card ... who here would buy that deck ? Hands up ... be honest with me now :)

Rosanne

Well whilst I agree with ravenest, the World card, has done what art is supposed to do-Provoke thinking.
It is not imitation, which because Tarot is the medium, promotes imitation.
It is not frivolous, it is not decoration, it is not necessarily good- but it has provoked thinking, and in that sense it has succeeded.
I do not like it...but I do not like Michelangelo's David either.
Does it evoke the 'World card'? In the same sense that the Osho Zen Magician promotes magic, it does have some sort of galactic appeal.
To answer ravenest- I would not buy it, but there are alternative Tarot decks I would not buy either. Is it dumb? is a question that stirs in each of us; it does not talk to me.

~Rosanne

ravenest

Is it dumb? is a question that stirs in each of us; it does not talk to me.

~Rosanne

! You're right ... something that doesnt speak to me (and others) CAN be called dumb ... I hadn't looked at that way.

To my sensitivities it is garish.

ana luisa

Well whilst I agree with ravenest, the World card, has done what art is supposed to do-Provoke thinking.
It is not imitation, which because Tarot is the medium, promotes imitation.
It is not frivolous, it is not decoration, it is not necessarily good- but it has provoked thinking, and in that sense it has succeeded.
I do not like it...but I do not like Michelangelo's David either.
Does it evoke the 'World card'? In the same sense that the Osho Zen Magician promotes magic, it does have some sort of galactic appeal.
To answer ravenest- I would not buy it, but there are alternative Tarot decks I would not buy either. Is it dumb? is a question that stirs in each of us; it does not talk to me.

~Rosanne

Beautifully said .