Fantastic Menagerie Tarot - a few cards online

Zargata

Wow...and wow again. I really like the Moon for some reason.
Anyway I feel it gives each card a fresh new look, something I haven't seen in along time! I really want this deck now.

Sophie

Rosanne said:
Iboohooo I just do not get the Eight of Wands??-but I will leave that mystery until I have the deck in my hands ;)
Try this :D - for the book, I chose to illustrate this image with the famous battle of Hernani. No, it's not a military battle. It was a great and very funny confrontation between the Romantic poets and the defenders of Classic theatre that took place at the first night of Victor Hugo's play Romantic play, Hernani. The Romantics, all dressed like Byronic heroes, came ready to take on the old guard in a concerted action. Grandville, of course, was there (he was often at the theatre and came from a theatrical family). You must imagine a huge racket, boos and counter-boos, whistles, music made, an actress fiercely declaiming her ground-breaking lines, the whole theatre in ferment, on and off-stage - and these groups of teddy boys - aka Romantics - kicking up a huge fuss all in concert (8 arrows in a row...). I find that card one of the most eloquent 8 of Wands I've seen - it was an easy one to write, too!

Rosanne said:
I am a bit ambivilent about the Magician-I am sure he will improve with use.
There are several things going on in the Magician card. First of all, it's a wink at the trickery aspect of the Magician. It's also a new way of looking at magic. Most people who love the theatre know that the stage transforms and heightens reality, exactly the way a Magician does - and in fact, there is something theatrical about the traditional magician (both the older Bateleur and the Golden Dawn Magician). Grandville often represented artists as monkeys - himself included. It was a way for him of saying - artists are very human, they are the most human of all animals. They are clever and mobile like monkeys. But all art is a form of trick, and my art (caricature, illustration) even more so. Finally, in the original lithograph, the card is a word-image game that comes from a famous line in Racine's play Andromaque: "Pour qui sont ces serpents qui sifflent sur nos têtes?" (for whom are these serpents hissing over our heads?) - a strong alliteration of Sssssss - which Grandville reproduces literally (this is lost in English - but the other aspects of art and theatre as magic and trickery remain).

Rosanne said:
The Lovers is the only one I see a whole new story from lol.
I absolutely LOVE those Lovers. The sweetest card ever, but as ever with Grandville and with baba-prague - with an edge. There are many stories that could be told with this image. Is the pretty little goat being seduced? Has she chosen kindness over looks? Is the deer in the background an abandoned husband? (he could be - that would be suggested by the "horns" - the antlers), or is he sighing for the bull on the goat's arm? It is the ambiguity and force of this card that is so strong.

I'm glad you like the cards, Rosanne - it has been very exciting for me to work on this project, and trying to fit words to Grandville's witty imagery and baba-prague's strong use of them in tarot.

Rosanne

Thank you Helvetica for the explanations- I saw the wands but did not understand about the Romantic teddy boys (can teddy boys be Romantic?) All that clamour and noise. I did not mean to say the Lovers was the ONLY new story- there are many layers in all the cards. The Bull looks a bit of a dandy and I like that. The Magician in the scan looks like he has a beak not a monkey mask. He even looks like the letter A to me ;) Hiss Hiss say the Kabbalists :eek: I just know this deck is going to bring me back to reading for others -I am just a kid at heart :shhh: ~Rosanne

baba-prague

Rosanne said:
I just know this deck is going to bring me back to reading for others -I am just a kid at heart :shhh: ~Rosanne

I think that's the best a deck could ask for :)

By the way, Helvetica puts these images into words far better than I could - and of course she is writing the companion book. We think it's going to be extraordinary and an art piece in itself.

tarobones

Fey and the Menagerie

WOW! I am definitely going to buy this one. You've done the book? How wonderful! I love that style of artwork and the playful spirit of the deck. Looking forward to it. When will it be released? BB, Michael

Sophie

Hi Michael! Yes, it's lovely. Have you seen the scans posted by baba-prague and her link to the site?

I think it's due out in March if it's back on schedule. Have a look at the deck creation thread. Certainly my part will be done before then!

It is playful, and like the Fey, has a sharp and dark edge to it - but one that is carried with wit.

baba-prague

Helvetica said:
Hi Michael! Yes, it's lovely. Have you seen the scans posted by baba-prague and her link to the site?

I think it's due out in March if it's back on schedule. Have a look at the deck creation thread. Certainly my part will be done before then!

Well, we seem to be back on the (revised) schedule. In fact, don't anyone laugh but Alex got a phone call from the printers about two hours ago saying "We're printing the next sheet". He amd I were very surprised as this sheet is supposed to print tomorrow, but apparently all went well today and they were ready ahead of time and raring to go. Which sheet is it? Why the beginning of Wands of course. You couldn't make it up really...

So Alex has dashed in Wands manner across town (he's always there at the actual printing - it's how we get the bright colour, by being there to adjust it by hand). I think my best contribution is to show the card. But there use while I try to get attachments to work (or I'll put it on the website).

baba-prague

A few Cups

I'm hoping to get the Cups up online today or tomorrow, but meantime here is a taste - a rather fantastical Seven of Cups, and we hope a very funny (but telling) Five of Cups. The Five is a little unconventional, but we feel it works - hope you agree!

Attachments

• Gran_7Cups360.jpg
    Gran_7Cups360.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Gran_5Cups360.jpg
    Gran_5Cups360.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 108

Rosanne

Thanks for latest peep Baba-prague. I think the five Cups works well- after all there is still the milking cow there for tommorrows milk. Although I have seen the disappiontement in the five before I have never really seen anger- and Mama looks like she can weild that bisom quite effectivly!. The seven is an excellent collage and looks thothish and TdM-ish and RWSish as well lol. I can see all the dreams and aspirations (and a little confusion as well :D) But where is that nasty revenge lol? For me there are no pipe dreams here only education and travel - but I know that travel may only be a pipe dream for some. When I first looked at the seven I was disappointed at the colour depth, but it grew on me this misty dreamy aspect to the card.- All good so far!!! ~Rosanne

baba-prague

Rosanne said:
When I first looked at the seven I was disappointed at the colour depth, but it grew on me this misty dreamy aspect to the card.- All good so far!!! ~Rosanne

Yes, generally these cards will be quite richly coloured (we go to some lengths to get strong colour when we print) but with this one we wanted to show three levels - the real person (er, dog actually) at the front, the painting pair - who may or may not be real (but I like to think are) and then the things they are painting, which are almost certainly fantasies. So the colour gets softer and softer. I agree, it's a gentle Seven of Cups - although strange too, the images are quite odd (all from Gulliver's Travels illustrations in fact). Thanks for the comments - it's good to hear what you really think.

Glad you enjoyed the cow - I feel she is the one who sees the spilt milk, while the kitten only sees the milk that hasn't been spilt. Your interpretation works just as well - and I hadn't thought of it like that.
I like her a lot - good to see an angry and action-taking cow!