How many people have a "go deck"?

oddtarot

My go deck is not necessarily my favourite. Sometimes I feel my best deck is too precious to bring out so I have another deck that I feel better about bringing to more places. It is good for reading also though.

MareSaturni

I always have a deck with me. I confess it's something I am quite obsessive about, to the point of feeling strange if I don't have a deck in my purse all the time.

My only real "go deck" is the Playing Card Oracles, an oracle deck, that is also my main divination tool. I ALWAYS have it with me.

As for tarot, it changes. Right now it's the newest edition of Hanson-Roberts, because ti's both small and resistant. I also have a pocket Universal Waite that occasionally becomes my "go deck". I also have a copy of the Bright Idea Deck that I carry with me very often. :)

I thought all readers always carried decks with them, lol! :laugh:

nisaba

How common is the practice of having a "go deck" that you keep with you when you're away from home?
I have two decks that live permanently in my handbag, whether I'm at home or out and about. When I go out to read Tarot, they come along in addition to the selection of decks I'll have in my Tarot bag, which I only take with me when I'm reading professionally.

Often I'll throw a random third deck in my bag with the two that come everywhere with me, if there is one I'm getting to know, or one I'm reviewing, or just one I've remembered that I haven't spent time with recently that I'd like to use if I have a quiet moment whilst I'm away.

They're more fun and take up less room in my handbag than books do.

nisaba

I thought all readers always carried decks with them, lol! :laugh:
<grin> It's a bit of an occupational hazard. As a writer you lose credibility if you don't have at least a biro and a scrap of paper on you, to jot down fortuitous phrases or overheard dialogue. As a reader, being without a Tarot deck feels a little as a non-reader feels as soon as they step out of the shower cubicle, before they have even towelled dry - very naked indeed.

The crowned one

I've been wondering about this. I know a few people around here have a deck that they carry around with them, or keep at work. I have a pocket RWS that lives in my purse. I keep it with me wherever I go in case I run into someone who wants a reading. Which very rarely happens, although in my recent stay in a psychiatric hospital, a few of the other patients wanted readings, and I was happy to do them.

How common is the practice of having a "go deck" that you keep with you when you're away from home?

Yes I do, it changes , the deck but not the style. Right now I am shocked to say it is a small deck. ( I love big decks) It is a German "pocket size" I think?? Rider-Waite. Sometimes it is a pre 78 riderwaite, a blue box, often a university press, in spurts a Morgan press albano and every now and then a BOL deck.

Kosjitov

I have gotten in the habit of carrying around a deck, though I very rarely take it out and use it away from home. Sometimes I just take them random places- a walk around the lake, the library, things of that sort. For a while it was my shadowscapes, but lately I've been trying to connect with the dragon tarot. It tends to be only one of them at the moment.

NikkiB

I tend to take one wherever I go, I find I often end up giving waitresses etc impromptu readings, I guess if i've got a deck and someone needs a message they will get it :)

SunChariot

I guess then that people who read in person are more likely to carry a deck with them, as you never know when you might run into someone who wants a reading.

Babs

MareSaturni

Yes I do, it changes , the deck but not the style. Right now I am shocked to say it is a small deck. ( I love big decks) It is a German "pocket size" I think?? Rider-Waite. Sometimes it is a pre 78 riderwaite, a blue box, often a university press, in spurts a Morgan press albano and every now and then a BOL deck.

Well, pocket decks are usually easier to carry - that's why I carry the Hanson-Roberts. I also has a Zerner-Farber tarot that I gave to someone special, who used to be my main "to-go" deck. :)

There are some big decks I wish I could carry with me, but often they make my bag way too heavy. So I tend to stick to small ones, at least to carry with me everyday. Besides, I have very small hands too!

Carla

When I carry a deck with me, it's usually Morgan Greer or Radiant Rider.