Oracles Instead of Tarot????

dolphinprincess

sagitarian-
I LOVED your post! Thanks so much... You said things that remind me much of thoughts I have in my own head... ! I really enjoyed reading it :eek:)

Chronata

I started reading with tarot, regular playing cards and tea leaves.
And tarot still is the most accurate and inntuitively interpreted for me.

But I have done my share of experimentation with all kinds of divination and oracles, and I absolutely LOVE my oracle decks!
I have about 60 of them...each is unique, each has the one area that they really excell at, and each one has a special way of communicating.
I still prefer tarot when reading for others, but because of my inability to remain detatched, I find it difficult to read for myself...
and that's where the oracle decks come in!

Oracle decks usually have thier own books full of interpretations, and so I don't have to be terribly intuitive if I don't wanna.
Or sometimes, they smply give me a one word answer...not open to interpretation...that just hits me upside the head with it's absolute honesty!

Depends on the deck, of course...but my Oracles are often just as...if not more...precious to me than my tarot decks!

diane drizzy

Hi dolphinprincess!

Just now saw this thread, I can honestly say that I really love my Faeries Oracle best. Although I have gone through several tarot decks, and finally hit on the Spiral Tarot, I do prefer my oracle deck. I find that I can relate to these cards better, and that I am able to read them intuitvely. I do also recall someone mentioning that they view oracles as easier to read for yourself vs. the tarot for others. But then again if you can't enjoy your own company, how can you enjoy another's? (smile)

Lady Eclipse

Hi,

I'd have to say I use both equally. Which one I'm going to use often depends on the situation and whatever "feels right" to me at the time.

For instance, I was doing a reading for someone a few months ago and she had serious concerns about her job. Instead of grabbing a tarot deck, I grabbed an oracle and did the reading even though the board is a tarot-based one. I advised her to start looking for another job immediately. Unfortunately, she ignored the advice of the cards and now she's in a real mess. :-(

Joy to you,
Maralee

JanetBoyer

i don't recall ever hearing anyone say that they read oracles more intuitively and tarot more by definition before. to me the tarot is an oracle and both can be read both ways at the same time or either way for some. i wonder if there is anyone here that does differentiate between the two?

Actually, I differentiate like this, too. Perhaps because Tarot is part of a long-standing, historical tradition whereas many of the new oracular tools seem more "free standing" and loose. There's still a part of me that, when reading Tarot intuitively, wonders if I'm getting it "wrong". I never feel this way with other Oracle decks or Archetype decks.

Odd, no? :)

purple_scorp

I definitely connect better with Oracle rather than Tarot decks and I came to the board because of the Oracle not the Tarot section. (Pity there's not more Oracle categories).

I think it is because the Oracle decks are not steeped in symbolism and mythology and there are not thousands of books that tell you why this card means that and so and so.

Quite honestly, I haven't found a Tarot deck that I really like. Though I am on the continual hunt for the elusive deck that is going to jump up at me and say....buy me, buy me.....I'm the one for you.

Does anybody have any Tarot deck suggestions for a die hard Oracle reader?

Cheers

purple_scorp

diane drizzy

Hi purple_scorp!

Maybe you can take a look at The Spiral Tarot. I used to feel the same way. I was always on the search for the Holy Grail! I found this a highly readable deck and was able to relate to the pictures and then use the book as a back up.

Jewel

purple_scorp said:
Does anybody have any Tarot deck suggestions for a die hard Oracle reader?

The Fey Tarot by LoScarabeo is my suggestion. The reason is because it is very well designed for intuitive reading and is not bogged down with many of the other systems that is often incorporated into tarot (qabalah, astrology, etc).

As for the original question of this thread, I was die hard tarot only for about 9 years. The deck that turned the tide is the Faeries Oracle by Brian Froud. This deck is in a class all of its own, you have to experience it to understand it. I probably use it more than any other deck, and I carry it with me everywhere I go (like Linus with his blanket).

My overall preference is still for Tarot, but more than anything I have found that I connect very well with faeries whether in tarot or in oracles. I love studying tarot, and find that it has a depth that surpasses any other type of oracle that I have worked with. The history, lore, varied uses, and incorporation of systems simply fascinates me.

I believe tarot to be a type of Oracle, as someone said, one that is more complex than others I have experienced.

Jewel

September Pixie, I saw your thread in the Faeries Oracle Study Group, and responded to it prior to seeing this post *LOL*. Frouds Faeries have been responsible for several of my purchases too (i.e. Fairy Ring (they had to have it), and some Lady Cottinghams note cards) ... thank goodness they do not do this on a regular basis, I am bad enough on my own I do not need their help with that *LOL*.