paying

crystaleyes

psychicbody said:
See, that may be part of the problem. When you made your first post, you did not concider who you might offend.
QUOTE]

I explained that post was intended for a different converstion dealing with a woman expecting to be paid for reading tarot out of a book instead of reading the card . It was accidently put into the wrong thread so it was taken out of context. And I actually thought most people did tarot out of spirituality because tarot is from the divine.

The Dreamer

crystaleyes said:
I think I need to explain how this happened, i accidently posted a response to an old thread regarding this into a new thread and so it seems as if I started the conversation,I didn't I was merely responding, even tho I am kinda glad it has turned out this way because like I have stated earlier it has given me insight and broadened my thinking.
I explained that post was intended for a different converstion dealing with a woman expecting to be paid for reading tarot out of a book instead of reading the card . It was accidently put into the wrong thread so it was taken out of context. And I actually thought most people did tarot out of spirituality because tarot is from the divine.
Hi crystaleyes.

I assume the thread you were trying to respond to when you accidentally started this new thread was this one - reading at psychic fairs
Starting a new thread accidentally when attempting to respond to another happens every now and then. The "new thread" and "post reply" buttons are close together. Usually the mistake post is deleted, but in this case your post didn't clearly appear to be a mistake since it made a good topic for a thread, so it wasn't.

I doubt your post would have attracted much attention in the original thread. Stating such an opinion as a start to a thread will be viewed differently than the same opinion as a reply to a thread.

It might be just as well that the new thread was started about this, though, since there are so many opinions about it.

Sophie

Rosanne said:
As for Tarot Readings and Priests I agree with Helvetica's Post, except in one small area- I would prefer the money to the wine. Hhhmmmm chocolate.
OK, I'll know what to bring when I visit your tent, Rosanne ;) - a healthy amount of good Swiss chocolate :D

Eco74

Way back when - society was based on trade.
Not necessarily of money, but of goods, food, services, help in times of harvest etc. Villages all came together for the springcleaning, for the preparation of feasts, and all shared what they had and traded fairly with eachother based on the needs of others.

For some, bread was scarce but could be traded for in return for tending animals or helping others with harvest. For others, food was plentiful, but the chores too many, so for them the help was needed lest all they had would decay.

Now, the society has changed. Villages no longer function the same way and trading has changed.
Money is the monetary unit that allows equal trades even between those who do not have skills or produce to trade with eachother.
If you were a blacksmith in need of food, you would have to find someone willing to feed you (and possibly your family aswell) for the work you could do for them in return.
Nowadays, a blacksmith can sell his/her wares to those who are interested, take the money and buy whatever food they want.

Money is often seen as the "evil" in society because there is so much focus on it. But few remember that it is the most neutral thing to trade..
Money given to someone for a service or product can then be converted to whatever the person it has been given to needs.

And I also agree to some part with both sides.
Tarot for me is a spiritual thing, but also a psychological thing.
For friends and for those who need my help (sometimes I have been approached and asked for advice) I'm happy to do an occational reading. But if I were to do it more often, on a regular basis, maybe even instead of my dayjob - I wouldn't survive if I did not get paid.
But I wouldn't get paid for the spiritual side of it since I keep that separate.
What I would be getting paid for is the time, the knowledge I can share, the insights I can give and the advice the querent came in search of.

We may all be spiritual beeings, but we all reside in physical bodies that must be fed, clothed and have a warm dry place to rest at night.

Flavio

Eco74 said:
But I wouldn't get paid for the spiritual side of it since I keep that separate.
What I would be getting paid for is the time, the knowledge I can share, the insights I can give and the advice the querent came in search of.
Somehow your post remembered me an interview from years ago with general manager of a bottled water company, he said "we don't charge for the water, no one shall be neglected a glass of water ever, we charge for the costs to bring water to you, the bottle, transportation, workers salary etc..." I was surprised about this statement because I never realized that a bottled water businessman had this way of thinking. Hope this metaphor is helpful.

Ace

I usually ask and get payment for my readings. I see myself as a consultant, I am asked for information and I give it. BUT sometimes, if I want to, I do a free reading and sometimes-if they want to, someone will offer food (lunch or a snack) or something back. I am always grateful, it shows they valued what I did. But I feel it is strictly up to the person: if I offer freely, there is no need of payment.

Ace

Umbrae

crystaleyes said:
I think being payed for a reading is exploiting the very idea of spirituality. Its kinda like paying a priest for confession.
Hmmm...I feed the birds so I can hear them sing...

Grizabella

***See, that may be part of the problem. When you made your first post, you did not concider who you might offend.*** (psychicbody)

This statement made me chuckle.

Lots of us who have been here longer tend to make posts without worrying who we might offend. Once we've been here for awhile, we learn that all our opinions have value and that we're entitled to them even if we differ, so a newcomer reading the forums comes to feel that they can do the same thing, and I think they have every right to feel they can. It was one of the things that attracted me here and gave me the courage to join in. I think it's a positive thing for AT that a newcomer can feel free to give their opinion without walking on eggshells. crystaleyes did it in a very respectful manner and I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Umbrae, the birds sing for me and I feed them to say thanks. Do they like me better because they sing for me before I feed them? LOL (Sorry, just being silly. Has no relevance to the topic, I know.)

crystaleyes

Lyric said:
***See, that may be part of the problem. When you made your first post, you did not concider who you might offend.*** (psychicbody)

This statement made me chuckle.

Lots of us who have been here longer tend to make posts without worrying who we might offend. Once we've been here for awhile, we learn that all our opinions have value and that we're entitled to them even if we differ, so a newcomer reading the forums comes to feel that they can do the same thing, and I think they have every right to feel they can. It was one of the things that attracted me here and gave me the courage to join in. I think it's a positive thing for AT that a newcomer can feel free to give their opinion without walking on eggshells. crystaleyes did it in a very respectful manner and I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Thanyou so much for this this exactly the way I feel> I have lots of opinions but I would never force them upon anyone, yet I would like to express them, and talking tarot isn't something I can do with my normal friends because they don't understand.

crystaleyes

another thing

What does an average reading cost? I have never paid for one, I've had many done, however I have never had to pay.