paying

contrascarpe

crystaleyes said:
What does an average reading cost? I have never paid for one, I've had many done, however I have never had to pay.

It depends on where you are, what you are getting and/or who is doing it. For example, in Burlington, Vermont, which is a pretty funky little town, they charge $15 for a half hour reading. At the store in Central Mass., the rates differ between readers - anywhere from an average of $1 - $2 a minute. I would suspect in NYC the rates are even higher. In New Orleans at Jackson Square they are not allowed to set rates but accept donations from seekers based on what they think the reading is worth (at least this was the case the last time I went there about 4 years ago - heading down in October so I will see if that is still the case. There was a thread here last year saying that readers were banned from there.).

Dan

Ilithiya

crystaleyes said:
And I actually thought most people did tarot out of spirituality because tarot is from the divine.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I am *not* trying to be offensive, k?

How is Tarot from the divine? I define "divine" as coming from or relating to a deity. What's your definition? teehee... the Casanova tarot is definitely *not* divine... :D

Illy

Ilithiya

crystaleyes said:
What does an average reading cost? I have never paid for one, I've had many done, however I have never had to pay.

I've never paid for one myself, but if I were, I'd be willing to pay between $10 and $15 for a CC with a fair amount of information. The more in-depth the reading, the more I'd pay (which would usually take the form of a tip).

I charge what to some would be insanely small amounts ($2 plus $1 per card)... simply because it's fair for me to expect something in return if someone requests my time and energy. If I offer, then I don't expect squat.

Illy

Alta

When I have paid for readings it has been $30 for a half hour, except once at a street fair where I think she charged $10. Both these were in Halifax which while not a 'small town' also is a relatively lower priced place to live and work. I suspect the prices reflected this. I have never paid for a reading since I moved away, and in fact have never investigated the local possibilities. But just living in a larger city I am guessing the prices are higher.

magpie9

Here in Albuquerque the standard at Metaphysical Bookstores is $1. a minute. I read at a monthly Physic faire (at a Metaphysical Bookstore) where the sitter pays $25. for 20 (or thereabouts) minutes. I also read at a Coffee House where there are a lot of students, by donation at the end of the reading. Recently I've started reading at a Thrift Store (!) where I am currently charging $2. for a 5 minute quickie. (Hey. It's a Thrift Store!) I don't know how long I will keep it that low, though.

At this point I'm in flux about how I want to be charging--I don't really like the whole business of timekeeping, and am considering going to a flat-rate system, in the places where I have that control.

My point being that even in a medium size city, there's lots of variation.

Mesara

A thrift store?? Now, that's different.... :)

magpie9

AND in full Gypsy rig.....nobody ever said I'm not one of a kind...:D
And of course, it's not your average Thrift Store....})

daveyboy

Money?

I've been "told" not to take money before. But there is nothing wrong with accepting a donation off of someone. The important thing is that you try to help the person in some way. Remember that when you are working with your cards you are really working with spirit to help someone along thier path.

David

crystaleyes

Eco74 said:

We may all be spiritual beeings, but we all reside in physical bodies that must be fed, clothed and have a warm dry place to rest at night.
Thank you for that. That is so true and I hadn't ever thought about it that way.

crystaleyes

Not offensive at all

Ilithiya said:
I want to make it perfectly clear that I am *not* trying to be offensive, k?

How is Tarot from the divine? I define "divine" as coming from or relating to a deity. What's your definition? teehee... the Casanova tarot is definitely *not* divine... :D

Illy

Good question, I think I believe that all spirituality is from the divine, not the cards themselves, but the energy that comes while reading them. Others may not feel the same way but thatwhat I believe. I have to believe the energy comes from somewhere or i may feel like I am making it up .(make sense?)