paying

Sophie

Ilithiya said:
the Casanova tarot is definitely *not* divine... :D
Oh, but according to himself, an encounter with Casanova definitely was divine ;). I'm enclined to believe him :D

contrascarpe

daveyboy said:
I've been "told" not to take money before. But there is nothing wrong with accepting a donation off of someone. The important thing is that you try to help the person in some way. Remember that when you are working with your cards you are really working with spirit to help someone along thier path.

David

Sorry, but I don't totally agree. It is OK to justify taking money if we convince ourself it is a donation and not a paid service?

When I work at the store, the people coming to me know up front what they are paying, and being told what they are paying for. Same when I work Tarot parties. Even though I agree that most times we are working with spirit, I don't always feel that way.

If someone's conscience precludes that they take no money, or if they can rationalize it as a donation, that is fine. For those of us who do paid readings as a source of extra income, I think it is not fair to judge. I am by no means greedy, but I provide a service which people are willing to pay for - I was on the other side of the table for years gladly paying my money and thought nothing wrong with it.

Dan

la-luna

and being payed to do readings means having more money to buy new decks

crystaleyes

now that is funny

la-luna said:
and being payed to do readings means having more money to buy new decks

you guys are great i love the way you all speak your mind and still stay friendly.

Nevada

It's a nice sentiment to have, for yourself, but not something that's fair to apply to others. Each has to define these things personally.

Some people consider their time and energy to have monetary value. Some have to pay the rent or mortgage somehow. :)

I don't like the idea of insisting that anyone do anything on a volunteer basis, in a world that's so dependent on money. This is an easy thing to insist on if one has time, outside support, or a big salary. I've known people who had to hold down two full time jobs to support themselves and their families. Should they, if they like to read tarot, be expected to do it for free--during whatever hours they have left?

Does this mean I don't believe in volunteerism? Not at all. But it's a personal and situational choice, and shouldn't be forced on people by social or so-called spiritual pressure, or unwritten rules of what's right and wrong. How anyone chooses to value their time and energy is their business.

If you have it in your heart and have the time and means to offer free readings, that's wonderful. But it's equally wonderful when someone is able to provide readings that others are willing to pay for, and can then support themselves partially or fully by reading tarot--as a livelihood. There's nothing wrong with that, spiritually or otherwise.

Nevada

Babylon_Jasmine

I think that comparing Tarot and Church is not very accurate. Tarot is a much more practical, focused sort of thing than church, at least the readings that i give are. They are about getting specific guidance on a specific issue. True enough, some people go to church for that, but they are very rarely satisfied unless they are extremely spiritually open. having a tarot reading is not, at least for me and those I read for, a reaffirming of my faith and spirituality, it is a tool to deal with and learn about a situation in my life. Charging for using a practical tool, especcially one that takes work to be good with, is in no way hypocritical or inconsistent, at least in my mind.

Babylon_Jasmine

That said, of course i give free readings to friends, just as a skilled auto mechanic may donate her time to help her friends (although she would doubtless expect them to pay for parts) or just as a professional musician would still happily jam with or sing for friends without expecting any sort of payment.

crystaleyes

Nevada said:
It's a nice sentiment to have, for yourself, but not something that's fair to apply to others. Each has to define these things personally.

Some people consider their time and energy to have monetary value. Some have to pay the rent or mortgage somehow. :)

I don't like the idea of insisting that anyone do anything on a volunteer basis, in a world that's so dependent on money.

Nevada
I would never insist anything upon anyone

Psychebleu

crystaleyes said:
I think being payed for a reading is exploiting the very idea of spirituality. Its kinda like paying a priest for confession. .

Priests, and all who make the church their vocation, do get paid - and depending on the congregation, denomination, and position - get paid VERY well, all the while paying little taxes. :) The Pope does not live from pay-check to pay-check. The fact they are given these allowances, speaks to how much society values, and are willing to pay, for their services.

Also, people are incredibly fortunate to have a vocation - not just a job. Job dissatisfaction is a slow, miserable death, and if you live for spirituality - why not try to make it your livelihood as well? If you are devoted and good at what you do, I don't think it's greedy, but a win-win situation for you and the people you help.