Tarot and Darkness hand in hand

Morwenna

It may not make sense to a talented and honest reader, but think about all the people who base their lives on what a reader says! And if they go to a less talented reader, or worse yet a charlatan, think of the problems that ensue. If the reader advertises "For entertainment purposes only," then the querent cannot successfully sue, because no breach of contract has occurred (how would one prove that a reading was not entertaining?). It protects the readers.

And then there are some places where "fortunetelling" is prohibited, just because there are so many charlatans out there. But readers can get around such laws in many cases by advertising it as entertainment.

gregory

The law has nothing to do with logic. If you don't post that disclaimer you get shut down. Those asking for readings are aware of this too.

NamasteIndia

gregory said:
The law has nothing to do with logic. If you don't post that disclaimer you get shut down. Those asking for readings are aware of this too.
what about readers who dont have website and are into face to face reading
do they have to mention that they will be reading for entertainment purpose only
and here people come with serious problems like alcoholic husband, warring mother in law, unable to get job.
So should one tell them that reading should not be taken seriously and they just have to pay up to get themself entertained

jackdaw*

Tarot readers are not, as a rule, doctors, counsellors, lawyers, financial advisors. And anyone who comes to them expecting to receive sound financial, legal, medical, etc., advice should realize this. THAT is why the disclaimer exists. "Entertainment purposes" is just a nicer way of saying "Take anything I tell you with a grain of salt, because I am not an expert; if you follow my advice and wind up in dire straits don't sue me".

The vast majority of us realize this. The disclaimers are there for the desperate or gullible few who don't.

Cassandra022

"I asked my Friendly Neighborhood Tarot Reader about those kidney pains I've been having. She pulled the sun card, and assured me everything would be fine. Great! No need to see a doctor then, I am good!"

"I was going to go to an accountant, but my Tarot Reader told me that investing in X would be bad (3 of swords) but that going to vegas would totally work out well for me, so that is what I am going to do!"

lol, I think the disclaimer is theoretically supposed to prevent things like that from happening to frequently...

NamasteIndia

Ok but in India astrology is given utmost importance the moment a child is born the astrologer is consulted to cast the chart and tell about the life course of the child.
even the name is kept based on the planetary configurations....
Serious and difficult situation when come up in life a astrologer is consulted for guidance and advice....in such a scenario where does tarot fit in...

And taking advantage of gullible, naive etc is not everyones cup of tea and so its better not to consult tarot reader for kidney problems makes more sense to get a MRI scan done in the same money.

Here tarot readers charge exorbitantly even for half an hour reading..

stpcarly

The disclaimer, no matter how anyone likes the wording of it, is necessary. It may not make sense to you, but not everyone who gets a reading feels the same way. Some do get readings for fun, some for serious issues, and some out of curiosity. Whatever the reason, there is no way a reader can guarantee that what is read will come to pass (like telling the future etc). No matter how good a reader or physic anyone is, there are no guarantees and that disclaimer does protect them from those who end up unhappy with a reading if things don't turn out as were predicted.

As much sense as it is to see a doctor or take a pregnancy test rather than consult the cards is not always obvious or perhaps not an option for some people who want readings. Perhaps they are scared or don't have money or are just curious.

And for me, having an astrological chart done and a tarot reading are two very separate things. Astrologers are far more accepted than tarot readers in many societies. Astrology is based on facts of the planets and so forth, while tarot reading is based on cards with pictures (although there is more to it than that lol that is how many see it).

And you shouldn't look at the disclaimer in a negative view. for entertainment purposes only, doesn't mean it can't help people. You can be entertained and enlightened at the same time, whether it with tarot readings or seeing a film.

gregory

NamasteIndia said:
what about readers who dont have website and are into face to face reading
do they have to mention that they will be reading for entertainment purpose only
and here people come with serious problems like alcoholic husband, warring mother in law, unable to get job.
So should one tell them that reading should not be taken seriously and they just have to pay up to get themself entertained
Legally - yes, in many areas.

And anyway - it is also for your own protection. Would you like things to end up as they have in Romania, where they have just passed a law that said you can be made to pay damages if everything you said did not come true.

Doctors, for instance, have insurance to cover themselves for the day they misdiagnose and someone dies. Readers are hardly in that class. the price of insurance against a prediction not coming true would be astronomical. Do you want to have to pay that kind of money out ? (Not that I do predictive readings, so I won't worry about it - but I have the impression that you think that's what most tarot is about.)

GryffinSong

I think a part of what we're seeing in this thread is a large cultural difference between India and some of the other countries represented. Here in the states we have a lot of crackpots. You know the type ... "you'll meet a tall dark stranger and ..." sort of thing. People who just make stuff up and pass it off as serious. In essence, they are con men and women. So tarot and psychic and many other avenues of seeking are all often looked at with a great deal of skepticism. Add to this the fact that many people are very gullible, and who end up believing in something utterly and completely, with no room for wiggle room, and you have a situation poised for disaster. It sounds like where you live that expectations are different.

gregory

I get that. But even in countries - as also Romania, as cited - where such things are taken more - VERY - seriously, no reader is going to be 100% "accurate" with predictions. A disclaimer is useful for both reader and sitter. It prevents nasty lawsuits.