Tarot at Walmart?

TheStarsAndTheMoon

It's also walmart.ca, which is the Canadian Walmart site. Walmart.com, the US version, has no Tarot for sale.

Frankly I don't shop at Walmart, either online or in brick and mortar stores, and I recommend others don't, either. I'd rather support companies that can pay their employees a living wage and don't force them to go on gov't assistance while the CEO and board rake in billions.

Unfortunately not everyone can pay top dollar for decks for various reasons. Anyway, I live in the US and I definitely know there's a tarot section online for US customers. I've used it. It's where I bought the Victorian Fairy Tarot.

Darkmage

@rwcarter: Hmm. Odd. I searched and I got a 404 error, but your link works. Maybe it's location, or maybe it's the cookies stored on the machine? I don't know.

Thing is, I have most of what they're selling. :rolleyes:

Wallyworld's prices are about the same as Amazon's. Ebay often has new things for cheaper than Amazon, as does the Book Depository.

TheStarsAndTheMoon

Amazon isn't as cheap for me now that they have a physical presence in my state, I have to pay sales tax these days, but unlike amazon I can pick up a deck at Walmart which at least cuts out some cost when I don't have to pay shipping. eBay is not for me.nAt least with amazon you can buy it brand new directly from amazon. I've had too many bad experiences with ebay, even checking ratings and reviews of sellers. I think the point here is that its just more accessible for some people. Your beliefs and reasons for not shopping there is your own, but leave others to shop where they will.

I don't disagree with your reasons its just not fantastic to tell people they need to shop elsewhere. There are a myriad of reasons I could think of for someone to need to turn there. Especially for in the closet people who it would be much safer for them to pick up a deck in person than risk it being shipped and someone in their household against them using tarot getting to the package first and opening it. Idk, its just me. My mind jumps to all the possible reasons someone could have for what they're doing.

I'll have to check out the book depository though. :)

Darkmage

Not recommending something is different than outright telling people to NOT do something. Don't confuse the two. If people want to shop at Wallyworld that's their business. I personally don't like the way they do business and won't support it. If other people know this and are fine with it, ok, not my business. If they don't know about how Walmart does business then they should, then they can make their decision whether or not to shop there.

I have to pay sales tax at Walmart.com as well as Amazon. It doesn't make any difference to me, so since the prices are roughly the same, I'm going to shop at Amazon because I only need to spend $35 instead of $50 to get free shipping. If I can find what I want locally, all to the good.

Book Depository has free shipping on everything, and they've got some obscure stuff I've been looking for and haven't been able to find. I just need to sell some more stuff on Ebay to get more money in my Paypal account.

As for Ebay, I've never really had bad luck there. It depends on what you buy, I guess. I mainly use it for vintage toys and out of print CDs. I'm a collector buying from other collectors, so maybe that shields me a bit. I've bought books and used decks of cards there too with success. There's no way in hell I'd ever buy things like TVs or computers there, despite the fact that that's what Ebay Inc. is pushing now. Uhh, no, I'd like to kick the tires first, kthxbai.

A lot of places also price match, so don't be afraid to ask. The worst someone can say is 'no.'

3ill.yazi

And please do think about supporting your local mystical shop if you have them. It's worth the few extra bucks.

Darkmage

^Totally in agreement. My fave mystical shop is also classified as a religious supply store, so no sales tax! They also have 10% off everything in the store on Saturdays as that's their slowest day.

Also, if you have a local independent bookshop, try to support them too. I'd much rather go to Changing Hands than Barnes and Noble, esp. since I'm paying the same amount both places.

Zephyros

Of course, the same decks that seem so cheap are actually prohibitively expensive. Darkmage is right, and I'll add that since they don't pay their workers living wages and then those workers are forced to take welfare, that welfare comes out of taxes. So you are, indeed, paying top-dollar for those decks, only the cost is hidden. In addition, as the largest employer in the US, Walmart receives huge subsidies that, of course, don't actually make it to the workers' pay.

So actually, buying anything at Walmart is actually extremely expensive. Plus, ignoring the way they treat workers in order to buy something spiritual like Tarot is somewhat hypocritical and at the very least in bad taste. If you believe in Karma, which I don't, what kind of karma is that? Buy food and clothing there, because it's cheap and those are necessities. But you don't absolutely need that deck, it isn't a matter of life and death, and it isn't worth it. It's positively cold-hearted and callous, especially when you're talking about luxuries like Tarot decks and when there are other options.

Not to mention, deck creators get screwed over as well. Those cheapo prices may mean the deck's creators were forced to agree to getting little to no compensation (otherwise a monopoly like Walmart wouldn't sell them).

Now... about Amazon's workers...but that's for another thread...

Darkmage

Heh, Amazon's not much better from what I've heard. The difference is I know Wallyworld's practices firsthand. Don't laugh, I worked for them and it put me through school because they paid me more than any place on campus would. That doesn't mean I have to approve of how they treat people--and from what I've read, they've gone steadily downhill from being really crappy to begin with.

Being able to pick up stuff at the store would be great, except that the Walmarts in the Phoenix area are usually located in less than stellar areas of town and I don't want to get mugged or find my car stolen. I'm serious. So I'd rather check out my local shops first, then order online if I can't find what I want around town.

My fave shops, Alpha Book Center and Changing Hands, are both local. They also both have discount programs. Alpha has 10% off on Saturdays with no sales tax EVER. Spend more than $20 before any discounts and you get a stamp card. Get three stamps on the card (basically spend $60, one stamp for each $20 spent) and you'll get an additional 10% off on your next visit. Changing Hands' rewards program is spend over $10, including tax, and you'll get a stamp on your card. Get ten stamps and get $10 off your next purchase. However, if you use a gift card or trade credit, no stamp. :/ Oh well...still, look into your options. Both places sell new and used merchandise. Bookman's is a HUGE local used bookshop with great prices on most things and a high churn rate, so frequent shopping is a must. I get a discount there because my mother is a college professor so we get the 20% educator's discount. It also helps I've known a good chunk of the staff since high school, but that's another story. I have found so many rare decks, rare video games, and rare occult books there for extremely reasonable prices that it blows the mind. Seriously.

I also have found a lot of my decks used, and gotten many OOP and many still in print ones for a song. I picked up a greenie Thoth back in August for $9. The box has some damage and the lwb was missing, but the cards are in virtual mint condition. I got the purple Thoth w/the three Magus cards last week for the princely sum of something like $2 after I got a ton of discounts. The cards, I don't think, have ever been used. They're slick as hell and slide all over when taken out of the box. The LWB is perfect, but once again, the box has damage. It looks like it had a run in with a box cutter. So if you're looking to nurse an addiction there are a LOT of ways to get your fix other than Walmart.

Barleywine

And please do think about supporting your local mystical shop if you have them. It's worth the few extra bucks.

I certainly agree, and if I had one close enough with more than a bare-bones selection, I would do so. When I eventually get down your way, I'll check out the two shops you PM'd me about a while back.