Tarot Bag Preferences??

Tigerangel

I'm curious as to the different tastes we have in tarot bags, I like black velvet on the outside and a contrasting silk lining for a general bag for any deck, I have been looking at some Michael Miller and Alexander Henry fabric recently and I think the Alexander Henry after dark red fabric would make a great bag for my Crows Magick with a nice silk twisted cord drawstring finished of with a charm or bead crystal.

So what do like or look for in a tarot bag generally or for a specific deck?

Babalon Jones

I really like fitted bags, where the bag is custom sized to the deck, and very structured, as opposed to a drawstring style. My favorite bags currently are made of silk or very soft leather. And I love when the colors of the bag somehow resonate with the deck contained within!

Tigerangel

I really like fitted bags, where the bag is custom sized to the deck, and very structured, as opposed to a drawstring style. My favorite bags currently are made of silk or very soft leather. And I love when the colors of the bag somehow resonate with the deck contained within!

It's great when you can get the colours to match the deck perfectly :)

Yelell

I don't have to have the colors match perfectly, but they can't be clashing. I love drawstring bags, some I've made, some are just crown royal bags and some I've bought.

I like to add something to the drawstring that coordinates. On my little bag for the gummy bear tarot, I got kids plastic colorful bear beads to string on the end of the drawstring. On the hoi polloi bag, I attached a decorative skeleton key to the end of the drawstring that looks like the key on the back of the deck. I replaced the drawstring on my RWS french deck bag with a ribbon that has little Eiffel Towers on it. It also helps me remember what's in the bag too :)

Tigerangel

I don't have to have the colors match perfectly, but they can't be clashing. I love drawstring bags, some I've made, some are just crown royal bags and some I've bought.

I like to add something to the drawstring that coordinates. On my little bag for the gummy bear tarot, I got kids plastic colorful bear beads to string on the end of the drawstring. On the hoi polloi bag, I attached a decorative skeleton key to the end of the drawstring that looks like the key on the back of the deck. I replaced the drawstring on my RWS french deck bag with a ribbon that has little Eiffel Towers on it. It also helps me remember what's in the bag too :)

The gummy bears sounds adorable, great ideas, I have some little eiffel tower charms, got them for making a bracelet for my niece, no decks they would go with though.

Grizabella

When my Legrande Circus deck came in the mail a couple days ago, I was crocheting a bag just to practice using my new bamboo needles, so I went ahead and made a bright red ruffle on one end with a crocheted black ribbon threaded through to gather it up and then decided to reverse the colors to put a black ruffle at the other end with a red crocheted ribbon to tie that end up with, too. Now I have what looks a lot like a clown's costume to house the new deck in. It was serendipitous. :) I really like it a lot.

I usually try to match the decks to the bags I keep them in somehow so I always know just what deck is inside. There will be a similar color or print or charm on the bag to let me know. I need to get busy and make some more bags, though, because I have a shortage of bags and many decks are kept two or three to the bag right now. I have to search through everything when I want a deck I haven't used in awhile because I forget which decks are in which bags.

Barleywine

Call me plebeian, but I have a nicely utilitarian bag made of a soft, brushed burlap material with a sturdy zipper that I use when traveling with a couple of decks. (I believe I posted a picture once before.) At home I keep everything in a growing number of wooden chests.

Tigerangel

When my Legrande Circus deck came in the mail a couple days ago, I was crocheting a bag just to practice using my new bamboo needles, so I went ahead and made a bright red ruffle on one end with a crocheted black ribbon threaded through to gather it up and then decided to reverse the colors to put a black ruffle at the other end with a red crocheted ribbon to tie that end up with, too. Now I have what looks a lot like a clown's costume to house the new deck in. It was serendipitous. :) I really like it a lot.

I usually try to match the decks to the bags I keep them in somehow so I always know just what deck is inside. There will be a similar color or print or charm on the bag to let me know. I need to get busy and make some more bags, though, because I have a shortage of bags and many decks are kept two or three to the bag right now. I have to search through everything when I want a deck I haven't used in awhile because I forget which decks are in which bags.

Sounds lovely and unusual, I've seen some nice knitted and crocheted bags, my mum was good at knitting and crochet, she used to take me to a knitting bee when I was a kid, they where fun :) I don't think I got her skills for that though lol.

I only have a few bags n boxes for my decks just now, so I'm needing to house a few, my crows Magick is in a wooden one which fits it perfect just now, but was thinking off trimming the borders of it so the box will be to big, the fabric print I seen would look great with it so think I will need to try my hand and make a nice custom house for it.

Tigerangel

Call me plebeian, but I have a nicely utilitarian bag made of a soft, brushed burlap material with a sturdy zipper that I use when traveling with a couple of decks. (I believe I posted a picture once before.) At home I keep everything in a growing number of wooden chests.

You've used two way intelligent words for me there, I'll need to look them up in a dictionary now lol.

I've never used a bag with a zipper before need keep them in mind for future bags.

devilkitty

Mrs Devilkitty made me a couple that I quite like. Nice red-and-gold brocade, lined in black silk. They are sized to two of my favorite decks (large Thoth and Liber T, both with borders cut off) and roll up like a pipe tobacco pouch.