Tarot Mucha

Cocobird55

Thanks for posting these -- it looks like a beautiful deck.

For those who are into bags, MRP has some Mucha tarot bags on their website that look very nice.

Le Fanu

Thank you gregory. It was fascinating to see those cards. Looks good. I think those borders will upset the trimmers and there'll be a lot of people who probably buy it all excitedly and then get bothered by the borders and find they can't use it.

I like the look of it though. Some decks from LoS have had a thicker stock of late. I noticed this in the Deck of Shadows first.

I shall buy it. I look forward to seeing it in more depth.

gregory

I really wouldn't have thought it needed trimming, this one !

Hemera

I really wouldn't have thought it needed trimming, this one !
Probably not..But I already have a plan in case it does })
Thank you for posting these gregory. :love:
The Sun is a bit disappointing since it is clearly very..ummm...male. I prefer my sun to be female. Yes, and the three of swords is a bit odd.

Looks like an interesting and deep deck...not at all just nymph-ey.

Rhapsodin

Well, it's turned up at last.

First impression.....not. It lifts a lot of work direct from Mucha but just doesn't have that touch...

Perhaps because I'm a fan of this artist, vado pazzo, as they'd say in Italy, I'm too discerning. I have seen his art in miniature and it has a glow that these cards haven't. Lo Scarabeo did better with their other Art Nouveau sets, more alive where these seem turgid.

Ah well - nice box and booklet. So I'll go through across the coming days to see if a second impression might be more positive.

Le Fanu

Hoping mine might be here today! Fingers crossed that postie comes my way...

jema

Why do I get Hanson-Roberts vibes while looking at those scans?

I have to say that I haven't bought a new deck in forever and out of all the new releases this is what I thought I would like the most but meh, I already have Hanson-Roberts...

Padma

Wow. I am kind of disappointed...the only really Mucha touch is the lovely ribbonning a la Art Nouveau around the image, along with a few of his ladies from the Seasons series (I believe the Moon card has one of those ladies, as well). I am now wondering if I should cancel my preorder.

There are so many other decks I am longing for more than this one, now that I have seen it....

Gregory, thank you so much for posting scans - very informative!

Le Fanu

I have - finally - been able to have a proper sit down, a nice cup of tea and looked closely at this deck.

First impressions; sensual and extremely decorative. There is much more of Mucha than just the Seasons. I see Sarah Bernhardt in the Pages for starters. I recognise quite a few of his lithographs etc too - but really, I'd rather not recognise anything to be honest. Otherwise I get a feeling of something shoe-horned. It's the spirit I want to feel. I hate motif-hunting.

But it is so very decorative and sinuous and sensual. I love the slightly muted colours. It wouldn't work brighter. It is totally RWS. I think that perhaps LoS are setting aside certain decks for the market that they want to be utterly RWS for those who want RWS-ness and are disconcerted by anything which isn't (like the Ceccolli Tarot). Thus they have the market pretty much covered; conventional stuff and experimental stuff. This falls into the conventional category. I really do quite like it though. I love the floweriness and flutteriness of it. My deck arrived at sixes and sevens, completely out of order, cards reversed and god knows what. I had to properly check that all cards were there as it was very out of order and randomly upside down. I note the new cardstock they are using; glossier but firmer than previous decks.

But I like this one, I have to say. I shall definitely use it. I wonder if the two part boxes will be a staple of their decks from now on? It is rather like the mini Golden Klimt in terms of design. Their other (tuck) boxes are way more practical - but this is a mere detail. I always hated the Art Nouveau Tarot and the Hanson Roberts and this is completely unlike either of these decks. I think a man (can't help saying this) could use this deck quite happily - not something I'd say of the Art Nouveau or Hanson Roberts. Perhaps the weakest part of it is the Courts but - hey - how easy is it to get courts right? They don't feel different enough. But I can tell from a first look that I will definitely be able to read with this one.

However, you do have to peer a bit to try and recognise the card through the floweriness and wistfulness.

gregory

Thanks Leffy - I'm glad someone else likes it too :)