Tarot of Marseilles help desk (Frequently Asked Questions): Non-History

Major Tom

Lee said:
In a recent post somewhere by Rusty Neon (I'm going by memory so hopefully he will forgive me if I misquote him), he mentions that most Europeans who read with the Marseille don't even use the pip cards.

It would certainly solve a lot of problems! :D

In her book Jung and Tarot, Sallie Nichols describes her reading method. She leaves out the pip cards, 2-10, so she has a 42-card deck consisting of the Majors, the Courts, and the Aces.

I realize it's a bit of a stretch for most of us who are used to reading with 78-card decks. But, for those of us who learned to read with illustrated pip decks, it might be less of a stretch than trying to work without the scenes.

I can't speak for European practices, but in Britian we tend to use a full deck. :laugh:

My first tarot book, the one I used to learn to read tarot, The Magick of the Tarot by Melita Denning & Osbourne Phillips, now unfortunately out of print, taught me to read using only the majors. I read with only the majors for more years than I care to remember. :rolleyes: I didn't learn the minors until I came to Aeclectic. ;)

Now from what I've learned I right here, I would have to say you can read successfully, by which I think I mean meaningfully, with any number of cards you wish. R.T. Kaser, in his book Tarot in Ten Minutes (as misnomer if there ever was one :laugh: ) uses trumps I - X and a single suite Ace through 10 for many of his exercises. He calls it stacking the deck. Works a treat. ;)

I suppose I could read the Marseilles trumps and aces without any further study and might just have to give it a try. I always found the trumps to give a more intense reading and I would suppose adding the aces wouldn't alter this quality by much.

I still want to learn to read the pips and courts in the Marseilles and plan to do it at the rate of one card per week. })

lunakasha

Just wanted to express my joy and enthusiasm in a place where it would be appreciated:

:D :D :D I JUST GOT MY FOURNIER MARSEILLE TODAY!!!! :D :D :D

They are beautiful....and I am looking forward to spending some quality time with them this afternoon! :D

I will probably drive you all crazy posting questions....LOL!!!

Thanks again for all of your support, advice, and encouragement...
I am very much looking forward to beginning the journey...

:D Luna (recent Marseille convert ;) )

Moonbow

Great news luna

You won't look back....... I love my marseilles decks (and my others ;) )but it opens a whole new world. Enjoy having a little 'play'.

M*

Moongold

Congratulations on getting the Fournier. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

What about doing a New Deck reading in Your Readings? That would be a good way to initiate it.

Do you know the New Deck spread?

I'll come back and post it :)

Ok....It is this: -

What will you teach me?
What do you need from me?
What will our relationship be like?

Its always great to "christen" a new deck with a reading like this and the reason I suggest the Your Readings Forum is that it brings the Marseilles into the mainstream, the common view, and might encourage others to use it as well.

Moongold

Summerdream

lunakasha said:
Just wanted to express my joy and enthusiasm in a place where it would be appreciated:

:D :D :D I JUST GOT MY FOURNIER MARSEILLE TODAY!!!! :D :D :D

They are beautiful....and I am looking forward to spending some quality time with them this afternoon! :D

I will probably drive you all crazy posting questions....LOL!!!

Thanks again for all of your support, advice, and encouragement...
I am very much looking forward to beginning the journey...

:D Luna (recent Marseille convert ;) )

Congradulations Luna!!!! I almost ordered these from Ebay the other day but forgot to bid before the auction closed :( I can't wait to see yours tomorrow night.

Hey, if you do a new deck reading, pull a card for me.

Momof3girls:)

Diana

You people should not neglect Kris Hadar's Véritable Tarot de Marseille. It is a most splendid deck. Trust me... it's a deck worthy of having, using and studying.

Moonbow

Diana said:
You people should not neglect Kris Hadar's Véritable Tarot de Marseille. It is a most splendid deck. Trust me... it's a deck worthy of having, using and studying.

Yep, I definately second this
M*

Summerdream

Diana said:

Hi Diana!

Do you know where I could find Kris Hadar's Veritable Tarot de Marseille's?

lunakasha

Moongold said:
Congratulations on getting the Fournier. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

What about doing a New Deck reading in Your Readings? That would be a good way to initiate it.

Do you know the New Deck spread?

I'll come back and post it :)

Ok....It is this: -

What will you teach me?
What do you need from me?
What will our relationship be like?

Its always great to "christen" a new deck with a reading like this and the reason I suggest the Your Readings Forum is that it brings the Marseilles into the mainstream, the common view, and might encourage others to use it as well.

Moongold

Thanks Moongold!!! I will give it a try...although I admit to being a bit nervous posting it since the Marseille is literally "the great unknown" right now....nervous about those pips especially!!! But hey, that is how we learn so...why not??? Hopefully I will get some constructive criticism and/or alternative views on how to interpret the cards.....

Thanks also Moonbow and Diana for the words of encouragement. :) I do believe that once I get more comfortable with my Fournier, I will indeed be seeking out new decks of the Marseille variety! :D

It is indeed an exciting new world of Tarot for me to explore....nice to know I won't be traveling alone....

:) Luna

Diana

Momof3girls said:
Hi Diana!

Do you know where I could find Kris Hadar's Veritable Tarot de Marseille's?

This problem of non-availability in the States will hopefully soon be solved.

I am hoping that TarotGarden will soon have them in stock. I will write to Kris Hadar again and see the status of this, because I brought up this problem with him and he is trying to solve the problem for us all. :)