Tarot vs. Religion

Aura Wolf

I had a somewhat unsettling experience a few minutes ago and just wanted to share it with everyone. My Tarot of Mermaids that I have been awaiting for 2 months from Chapters Books in Canada was just recently cancelled from my order as they were unable to order it in. Currently, I am visiting with my grandparents in Penticton, B.C. so I decided I could try the local bookstores to see if they had it. There was only one main bookstore that I wanted to get ahold of, but I accidentally called the wrong number and reached a Christian bookstore. I didn't realize this until after I asked them if they had tarot decks. At first the woman didn't seem to understand me, but then she realized I meant tarot cards and said, "No, we are a Christian bookstore," and told me they didn't sell those kinds of items (she referred to "those items" with a specific word, but I can't remember what it was. All I know is it was something "non-Christian" or of that nature). I apologized and told her I meant to reach another bookstore, when she began to launch into a lecture about how I shouldn't be using those kinds of things, and what would happen if I got into them. I was shocked and as soon as I realized what was happening, I hung up the phone (as bad as that made me feel). Despite being a polite person I was not about to sit there and have some woman with no real knowledge of tarot lecture me on its evils and wrongdoings.

Even though I didn't stick around long enough to listen to much of this, I got the jist of what she thought about it and how she was trying to force this kind of belief on me that it was wrong. It was definitely uncomfortable, as I've never encountered this before. There are people who don't believe in tarot and that's fine, but I've never had someone actually try to preach to me about it being evil when they obviously know nothing about what it truly is and isn't. Especially from someone at a reputable bookstore, and over the telephone no less!

I know there are many Christians who use tarot cards, I in fact used to be one myself before I converted to Paganism and spirituality. But some people are just incredibly close-minded, no matter what their religious or ethical beliefs.

I'd like to start a discussion on this. If anyone has had similar experiences I'd love for them to share, and I'd also like to know what your views are on the subject of tarot vs. religion. How misunderstood is it really, and what is the general view on tarot in other religions? How do people arrive at the conclusions and assumptions that tarot is, essentially, a "tool of the devil"? Is there any way we could raise awareness on this?

brandi124

Well as christian myself I can tell you that I went through a lot of soul searching before deciding to pursue my interest in tarot. You're right-- it's a pretty common belief amongst I'd say most Christians that things like tarot and other forms of divination are frowned upon to say the least. Fortune telling is specifically warned against in old testament scriptures. As a believer in Jesus and the Bible I've been questioned once or twice about how I can also be a tarot practitioner as well and here's how I explain it...
I believe in tarot cards the same way that some people believe in Dr. Phil. Seriously. I mean the fact is is that he is usually right and his advice can be very useful but he can't change your life for you and it's probably not a good idea to "worship" him or anyother psychologist, psychiatrist, etc. I'm the same way with my cards-- they are a tool but I don't worship them in any sense of the word. I also feel like divination was given such a hard time in the Bible first of all because *it works* and second of all because it was distracting people from *God*. I do truly believe Jesus was a man and was the son of God-- that is a fact to me but I incorporate all kinds of spiritual practices into my life because they work for me. I personally do not choose to buy into the man-made bastardizations of christianity that have lead people to do truly heinous things in the name of Christ.

Surprisingly many of my christian friends have been incredibly understanding after I explain my tarot reading to them in this way. But I'm sure not all christians would feel the same way. I don't know in the end, I think it is imperative however to always show respect for other people and whatever spiritual path they are on.

Shesawolf

I was sitting in a Starbucks, waiting for my son. I had just bought the Radiant RW deck - I was enthusiastic to see it. Trying to be descreet, I didn't actually layout the cards, but was thumbing through them. A man walked up to me, and although very pleasant, he was trying to get me to go to his church. He was more or less implying that the cards weren't a bible, and if I wanted "real" answers, I should visit his church the following Sunday. I politely declined - and was very thankful that he got the hint that I didn't want to talk anymore and left. But, that wasn't too bad - not compared to your phone call.

But it has been very interesting learning that I can't tell many people that I read Tarot. Some folks that I thought wouldn't think twice about it, have almost been "spooked" when I told them. I've gotten to the point that when I see the "deer in the headlights" look, I have to tell them "Don't worry, I don't sacrifice animals, raise the dead, or drink blood... I get enjoyment from them - and it's that simple." And with an audible sigh of relief we continue talking.

But I have been preached to, and questioned, and drilled (never teased though). One friend said: "Tsk, tsk, poor baby." And once I was told the cards are "of the devil" and I was going to go to hell for reading them... All of this (fear) definately stems from a misunderstanding or misconceptions.

When asked to explain "why" (e.g. why they work or why I read them), I share the history and what the cards do for me. The best way I've been able to explain is with this analogy/story:
"Have you ever heard a song a dozen times, or seen a movie over and over again, and then one time - when you're having some problem - you're listening to that song, or watching that movie and *suddenly* you gain inspiration about your problem... a new perspective... or maybe now you understand something you didn't before? Well, the cards work like that: inspiration. It's all based on my own reality and sub-conscious needs, desires, lessons."

Some folks are dismissive, some intrigued, others want a reading, and others totally avoid the subject for ever more.

For me, I've learned to be careful about who I 'share' with, but I don't hide the fact that I read... I still feel too shy to read in coffee houses (or even on the airplane)... when asked, I'll answer the questions directly - my place is not to convince anyone that my way is true... they have their path - I have mine.

For those that lecture, I smile, say thank you for their opinion and/or the information, ask if they have a question (still smiling), and then continue on my path...

Phoenix Rising

I was just going to post a thread this morning about "conversation with a Christian" And yes I rang a christian book shop by mistake, and yes he told me it was cursed, and that the bible said that we are not to use those sort of things. So I could feel myself getting worked up, and he wanted to give me some literature about inviting Jesus into my life.
So of course I had to add a few things in there. I said "I don't fear God, and he will not strike me down because I'm using Tarot cards"
He said if I don't want to do it for myself then I should for my childrens sake!
But yes I was pretty annoyed afterwards, saying to myself "ignorant fool" So just a idea of what we're going to face, People have their own beliefs, so I'm not going to force my opinion on them either.
Yeah what can you say. I knew a lady who owned a metaphysical shop and she was a wiccan. She had alot of hassle with a group of christians and the local city council too, and she closed up shop.

lunakasha

Shesawolf said:
Some folks that I thought wouldn't think twice about it, have almost been "spooked" when I told them. I've gotten to the point that when I see the "deer in the headlights" look, I have to tell them "Don't worry, I don't sacrifice animals, raise the dead, or drink blood... I get enjoyment from them - and it's that simple." And with an audible sigh of relief we continue talking.

LMAO, Shesawolf!!! What an excellent comeback!!!
Thanks for making me chuckle! :laugh:

On a more serious note....I find it appalling, not to mention a little scary, that so many people in today's society--the 21st century!--still have such an ugly perception of Tarot and people who practice it. These so-called "Christians" are also the first to point out (whether you want to hear it or not) that homosexuals are going to HELL, that listening to rock music means you have a pact with the Devil, and the same with people who dress a certain way--the "Goth" look--it just goes on and on and on....

***Please understand that I am referring here to a specific group of Christians, not ALL Christians....you know who I am talking about, right? The holier-than-thou, born-again Christians who go out of their way to point all of us "sinners" in the right direction. Very much like the bookstore owner mentioned by Dead Star.

If you do not classify yourself as one of these people, then you have no need to be offended...;)***

I have nothing against Christians in general, but it is these fundamentalist groups, the "morally superior" few who give Christianity a bad name! I don't go up to complete strangers and try to force my religious views--or even tarot--down their throats. All I ask is for that same level of respect.

:) Luna

brandi124

I was just at a metaphysical bookshop a week or two ago and a man was standing out front with a sign on his chest saying that "homos are going to hell" and he was shouting at everyone who went into the bookstore that the witches inside were cursed and going to hell too. Well I don't know about WWJD (what would Jesus do) in a lot of situations but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do THAT. Something, huh?

Macavity

I think it depends on how much time and energy YOU want to spend? I do sense there's comfort in finding kindred spirits and indeed licking one's wounds. It sounds an unpleasant experience. But it may be that's exactly what SHE had to resort to herself - on some Christian forum? No excuses, but when someone challenges our deeply held beliefs, it sets up a kind of... "cognitive dissonance"? For some this MUST be dealt with immediately or their whole system is perceived under threat? Methods are various and indeed documented! This may e.g. be quite aggressive - as in "putting up a fight" or simply repeating over and over (often learned) stock answers for any such situation.

Where folk have invested hugely in faith and derive rewards in doing so, why would they (or anyone) change? Often there are (perceived) VERY negative consequences of doing so - "Going to Hell" might be a very REAL fear! On the other hand, many (esp. on the internet) find a state of almost continual conflict is great fun? Witness the prolifereation of political, religious, recovery forums? I just observe that there's less chance of a "punch on the nose" online... or on the telephone? But seriously, I've yet to see anyone say: "Wow, my Friend - You've really opened my eyes on that one - I'm changing my mind"! :laugh:

I'm sure a cognitive expert would say you're "awful-izing"? (Isn't it awful that... ;)) This is usually deemed counterproductive? I say maybe a little is good for you - We're all human! Otherwise complain re. this person's professional conduct? Potential loss of revenue and all that! })

Macavity

Indigo Rose

I am a "devout" Christian, in that I believe in and serve Jesus Christ and the Hebrew God of the Bible. I worship Jesus and live in an effort to honor his commands. I am not a saint and believe that GRACE covers a lot of my mistakes. I also read Tarot. I too have been victimized by people who have condemned me to hell for reading Tarot. It is a shame because they fail to realize they are actually bringing judgment on themselves, according to the Bible.
Romans 2:1
"You, therefore, have no excuse who pass judgment on someone else, for whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things."
Romans 2:6
"God will give to each person according to what he has done."

I am sorry for to all of you here who are not Christians, and are continually ASSAULTED by my supposed brethen in the Christian faith. They are wrong.

My father, who just passed, suffered terrible persecution from many Christians in his life. He was Bipolar and Paranoid Schizophrenic, and in this past 2 years suffered from Dementia. He was told by ministers and fellow Christians that HE WAS damned to hell and the voices he heard were demonic spirits. Well of course that is a lie. He was mentally ill. This is a scientific fact. However, my father had a beautiful and loving spirit....and HE LOVED JESUS. He would never accept those lies from supposed Christians, and instead clung to the word of GOD and the Lord himself. He never lost his faith in Jesus, just his faith in man.
Jesus taught us to love one another, not condemn each other to hell. The Lord holds the keys to eternity, not mankind. I am truly sorry that all of you who are not Christians are forever being given the wrong vision of who Jesus Christ is and what he stands for. Please accept my apologies as a Christian.
Live in LOVE.
Blessings,
Indigo Rose

HOLMES

i don't know,

when i first saw this thread name i thought i was looking at a discussion is tarot a religion, does tarot come from religion, is there religous undertones in the tarot,

but intead got christian religion judgements vs the tarot,
so i had to take second gear shift,

there is no comeback unless i want to get into a debate with someone who calls the tarot evil,for their minds are made up, but if they asked me , how does it work, who made it, then that gives me something to debate about,

for me to answer the evil comment would be me to have to defend my tarot understanding, and possible beliefs, and attack their beliefs by explaining, oh the church preached that divination was evil as to keep the power for themselves in the middle ages.
(i dont' even know that for a fact and that is a discrimation comment on my end ).

i do know that once i was attacked by energy i could feel when a lady said i dont' believe in that,
i said you don't have to believe in that , it works and that is all that matters to me,
i was just 19 to 20 at the time, and so i reacted differntly.

the only way to combat this if one wishes to is to start a campign with a book , newletter, and furthermore, however then people would say , how come you handing out newletter like the jevoh witiness. and i would say , beats me just wanting to share,
but that is a route i don't want to take for it would take too much energy, time, resources, and what is the use, ?
beats me

lunakasha

Indigo Rose said:
I am a "devout" Christian, in that I believe in and serve Jesus Christ and the Hebrew God of the Bible. I worship Jesus and live in an effort to honor his commands. I am not a saint and believe that GRACE covers a lot of my mistakes. I also read Tarot. I too have been victimized by people who have condemned me to hell for reading Tarot. It is a shame because they fail to realize they are actually bringing judgment on themselves, according to the Bible....I am sorry for to all of you here who are not Christians, and are continually ASSAULTED by my supposed brethen in the Christian faith. They are wrong.

Please accept my apologies as a Christian.

Hi Indigo!

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for...you obviously are a loving and compassionate person who does not use religion as an excuse to attack other people...it is really sad that the church has persecuted you and your father the way they did. This was exactly the point I was trying to make...that none of us, Christian or otherwise, should be making judgements about other people. We should all try to love and accept one another, which is what God/Jesus/Spirit expects us to do....

Thank you so much for sharing your experience...and I am so sorry about what happened to your father.

:) Luna