Tarot vs. Religion

nina

sorry indigo

Hello,
Consolations to Indigo Rose and thanks for putting in some compassionate words so we Christians don't all look like the Grand Inquisitor.
I think it is such a difficult and lifelong struggle to live life as a Christian that if you are really applying yourself to it you don't have the time or the pride to point fingers at anyone else for their efforts at finding truth.
I have encountered condemnation from some scientist friends of mine for my religious beliefs- sometimes outright and very insensitive ridicule- and I dread any of them ever discovering my interest in tarot. They wouldn't call me damned, just stupid and irrational.
At least we all have an open safe haven for discussion here.
-nina

Aura Wolf

Nevada said:
Dead Star,

I used to sell some products related to astrology at a swap meet (flea market), and I recall many people coming up and trying to "save" us, sometimes in groups. They were mostly young adults with a sort of glazed over look in their eyes that indicated to me they were pretty much brainwashed to behave this way. In any case, it's rude. It has less to do with religion than it does with intolerance. Yes, it's a little frightening, because when carried to extreme this kind of sentiment can result in abuse (of the sort Indigo Rose mentions against her father), violence or hate crimes, and even terrorism and war. But it's not just a Christian thing. It's bigotry, and it's global in occurrence. It's based on fear and lack of independent thinking. These are for the most part people who quite sadly are not thinking through their religion, but are blindly following a fear-based dogma that others are feeding them. Very sad, but really more sad for them than for you. You have the clearsightedness to question and to find the path that's right for you.

Thanks for that, Nevada. It certainly isn't just a Christian thing, nor just a religious thing for that matter. And you're right, it is more about intolerance than anything else. I do indeed feel sorry for those sorts of people, I just wish I was able to pity them without them bothering me :laugh:

inanna_tarot

so which ones are offically okie with tarot?

Hmm just wondering, are there any christian denominations that are actually okay with the idea of tarot?

Very interesting thread btw! Normally i skip threads like these, glad i found it :)

Sezo
x

Jeanette

From a book, "Instructions in the Catholic Faith" c. 1976, rev'd. 1980: Lesson 43, the 1st Commandment, names superstition, faith healers, astrology, palmistry, crystal gazing, ouija boards, spiritualism a/or spiritism, dreams, fortunetelling and the like and these are all considered sins (among many, many other things). I think these are listed as sins because it is giving adoration to others besides God and that only God can know things of the future. I guess the concern is that if people go around predicting things happening in the future (that only God can know) and then it happens, then that person has powers that only God has. Or that person is in danger of thinking they are God-like.

I'm just interpreting this book. I don't think of myself as having powers that are God-like or otherwise when I read tarot cards. I think the tarot cards are a wonderful tool to help analyze relationships in life, situations we deal with, and whatever is on our minds that causes concern. I might add that this book encourages marriage to the point if a woman is married to an abusive, alcoholic, adulterer and whatever else he may be, she should STAY MARRIED because divorce is WRONG. This book is something else, I keep it around for shock value!

In my personal life, tarot cards have brought me closer to God by showing me how everything in life has meaning and value, and that there is good sometimes even in bad situations.

Aura Wolf

I might add that this book encourages marriage to the point if a woman is married to an abusive, alcoholic, adulterer and whatever else he may be, she should STAY MARRIED because divorce is WRONG. This book is something else, I keep it around for shock value!

Yikes! That's a little extreme...

Khatruman

Nevada said:

I used to sell some products related to astrology at a swap meet (flea market), and I recall many people coming up and trying to "save" us, sometimes in groups. They were mostly young adults with a sort of glazed over look in their eyes that indicated to me they were pretty much brainwashed to behave this way.
That's what I think bothers me most with much of the religious fanaticism: people being trained not to think for themselves. One of the most difficult jobs I have as an educator of high school students is getting them to open their minds to new possibilities, to see things in a new light, critically analyze and assess them. When fanatics "argue" their point, they do it through canned lines, quoted scripture, etc. and are told they shouldn't question, they need to accept it all as the leaders say it is, or else they risk the devil swaying their point of view. It thus becomes useless to argue since the very act of you arguing reinforces their training that it is the work of the Devil.

Though I only have a passing knowledge of Judaism, one of my observations on the Jewish faith is that the young are taught to think, to question, to understand rather than memorize. I cannot offhand remember what it is called, but there is even a tradition of Hebrew scripture which is creative storytelling, where holy persons actually rewrite or expand upon scripture story. In this way, it becomes a living thing, rather than an aloof body of words that must be untainted.

It is a shame to see a young mind shut down.

Aura Wolf

Khatruman said:
That's what I think bothers me most with much of the religious fanaticism: people being trained not to think for themselves. One of the most difficult jobs I have as an educator of high school students is getting them to open their minds to new possibilities, to see things in a new light, critically analyze and assess them. When fanatics "argue" their point, they do it through canned lines, quoted scripture, etc. and are told they shouldn't question, they need to accept it all as the leaders say it is, or else they risk the devil swaying their point of view. It thus becomes useless to argue since the very act of you arguing reinforces their training that it is the work of the Devil.

Though I only have a passing knowledge of Judaism, one of my observations on the Jewish faith is that the young are taught to think, to question, to understand rather than memorize. I cannot offhand remember what it is called, but there is even a tradition of Hebrew scripture which is creative storytelling, where holy persons actually rewrite or expand upon scripture story. In this way, it becomes a living thing, rather than an aloof body of words that must be untainted.

It is a shame to see a young mind shut down.

That's very interesting Khatruman. This is probably one of the reasons why Christianity never worked for me. Too many rules, to the point where it can seem overly-demanding and less giving. At least that's how I came to feel about it. I know there are plenty of Christians who read tarot and can find a place in their religious beliefs for it, and I commend them for that. But for the people who are essentially brainwashed into thinking there's only one right path and if they don't follow it, they're doomed, it's just sad and I don't think any religious group should have a right to convince people that they should not think for themselves or question or wonder. How can anyone be truly happy or spiritually fulfilled that way?

Agathe

Hi everyone,

What I hate most is preaching. I have a friend with whom I was very close few years ago. Our close freindship died when she became literally obsessed with religion. She stareted preaching me about my relationship and when I told her about my interest in Tarot she only said that she wished I hadn't told her that. There are some people I know that have no idea about me using Tarot. I just do not feel like listening to them preaching me how unbelievably evil it is for me.
Every single fortuneteller I know in Poland believes in God and goes to pray in church. I do it as well and like I said in one of the earlier threads Tarot brought me closer to God.
So, Dead Star, I think I would do exactly the same thing as you did. I would just hung up on such person, even though it's kind of rude.

Blessings,
Agata

inanna_tarot

in a way, i guess its like when people talk to you online.
Normally i get some wacko wanting to save my soul - and when you cant put them straight you block them/ignore them whatever. So hanging up is the same really (though abit more personal its more direct) , but these people have to understand that one works for them isnt the same for everyone else!

Im so glad to see other Christians here embrace tarot and arent so blind as them lot! A classic line i say when people look at me funny for learning astrology is ..
Sir, i have studied it, you have not - Issac Newton!!!
If one of the founding fathers of modern science was openminded, then everyone else should at least try to be!

well its something like that anyways - shuts em up!

Sezo
x

Badturtle

Originally posted by Indigo Rose
The truth in all of this is that humans are egocentric. No matter what our belief systems are everyone thinks their own ideas are correct. It is only by choosing to evolve and open our minds, that we can begin to respect other people's beliefs.

From the Avatar Course exploring that I have done, I've come to understand that not only do we think our own beliefs are correct, we each truly only exprience that which we personally believe.

I feel fortunate to have evolved a personal cosmology that allows me to easily believe in God & spirituality as well as to appreciate the many tools of spirituality including tarot, faeries, runes, angel cards, etc. At the same time, as Indigo Rose has hit upon, as I deepen my ability to sheerly appreciate other points of view, I find that my own is received compassionately as well. Along those same lines, I've discovered many friends who are deeply religious yet practicing tarotists.

My suggestion is to stay encouraged and realize that everything we deal with reflects our own personal opportunities for growth. Happy exploring!