The De-Enabling Thread

rainwolf

Someone talk me out of the Illuminated tarot with irradescent colors!

It's the most beautiful deck I've ever seen and I can't really spend money with no job for a while and school...and its...$76 for 78 cards of magnificence....

And they are practically the perfect size also for my hands and even the samples on the internet make my intuition run...

I'm only trying to wait until winter holiday too....I'm really bad.

sapphir3

Oh god I wish I could help you out there but really I'm not gonna be any use.

I've been dreaming about a deck for several nights now. I can't get it out of my mind and it's so strange because I never in a million years would've thought that this was the deck for me. Why oh why can't I stop thinking about it??!! I'm out of student loan money and my visa is almost maxed and my daughter's birthday is coming up so I really can't buy it now...plus I've got three decks coming in the mail.

Someone please talk me out of the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot...PLEASE!!!

Little Baron

sapphir3 said:
Someone please talk me out of the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot...PLEASE!!!

Ok. I can try.

It's not the easiest to read straight out of the box, since it doesn't work like traditional tarot. If you are familiar with RWS (or Thoth or anything, to be frank), then this is a whole new ball game.

What else can I say?

I don't think I can de-enable because this deck really is a powerful one, and if studied for some time, I think it is a valuable addition to your deck collection. At a tarot meet last week, I passed it around. It really feels quite heavy with wisdom. The colours are so rich and I could feel other people's excitement as they held it. It is quite different and deeper than a lot of decks are. Have you tried looking for a copy in the trade section or a second hand one for a lower price? Maybe start a thread. As much as I like it, there are a lot out there who are creeped out by it or who can not be bothered to learn about the various loa.

LB

Sulis

rainwolf said:
Someone talk me out of the Illuminated tarot with irradescent colors!

It's the most beautiful deck I've ever seen and I can't really spend money with no job for a while and school...and its...$76 for 78 cards of magnificence....

And they are practically the perfect size also for my hands and even the samples on the internet make my intuition run...

I'm only trying to wait until winter holiday too....I'm really bad.
I was really drooling over this deck too until I got some sample cards from Carol Herzer and they really put me off.

The lamination is just so plastic- the cards don't even feel like cards.

If there is one thing I hate it's overlaminated cards and these ones feel as if they've been laminated down at the print shop - yuk....

I sure was glad that I asked for the sample cards - definitely not the deck for me.

Alta

Lurea said:
However, I am seriously wanting the Hero's Journey. It's crazy because I have the Transformational and don't use it that often.
I'll try. the deck is extremely expensive, and you have to ask yourself, will I use it? I suspect not particularly, from your other comments. Do you want to buy it for future value? As we all know, that's a gamble, at best!
Think of it in terms of value... and only you can answer this. Ten years from now, what will it be 'worth' to you?

jackdaw*

Hero's Journey

IMO, the Transformational is the better deck of the two. And if you don't use that one too often ...

Besides, it has those awful laminate edges that extend beyond the card and poke you in the hand when shuffling.

And it is hellish expensive!

Knight of Wands

Starlily said:
I want the Fantastic Menagerie.

Magic Realist Press, you are just too good for words. I am so enamored of my Fairytale Tarot. I take it out multiple times each day just to look at the cards. I read the stories each night before bed. I love, love, love this deck.

But lately I have been assaulted with a new temptation--the witty, wonderful Fantastic Menagerie Tarot. I prowl the forums in the dark of night and read the FMT exchanges on the Reading Circle forum. When no one is looking, I peer longingly at the card scans. This deck, with its unusual premise, whimsy, and richness beckons beguilingly to me and my fingers itch to shuffle those coveted cards.

I get my first check on Friday from the new job. I can afford it. But I've been trying to enjoy everything that I have. To use all of my decks. I always wanted to be the person that had just 3 or 4 working decks. But there are just too many goodies out there--too many delectable, enticing decks that just beg me to explore them.

I'm a loose woman where Tarot is concerned. Yes, I admit it. Like Mozart's Cherubino, that "amorous butterfly," where my Tarot is concerned, I just can't seem to help myself. Alas, I am a Tarot tart.

I really don't think I can resist this one. And what's more...do I want to?

Help!!

I can't...its fabulous :D

sapphir3

LittleBuddha said:
Ok. I can try.

It's not the easiest to read straight out of the box, since it doesn't work like traditional tarot. If you are familiar with RWS (or Thoth or anything, to be frank), then this is a whole new ball game.

What else can I say?

I don't think I can de-enable because this deck really is a powerful one, and if studied for some time, I think it is a valuable addition to your deck collection. At a tarot meet last week, I passed it around. It really feels quite heavy with wisdom. The colours are so rich and I could feel other people's excitement as they held it. It is quite different and deeper than a lot of decks are. Have you tried looking for a copy in the trade section or a second hand one for a lower price? Maybe start a thread. As much as I like it, there are a lot out there who are creeped out by it or who can not be bothered to learn about the various loa.

LB

*sigh* In my dreams it's almost silly how eager I am to hold this deck...and when I touch the cards its as if what you are describing. To be honest the only think holding me back at this point is shipping charges, lol. If I can find a deck locally (maybe tonight) there's no way I'll be able to resist. Yes, that is my mission tonight...

Little Baron

sapphir3 said:
*sigh* In my dreams it's almost silly how eager I am to hold this deck...and when I touch the cards its as if what you are describing. To be honest the only think holding me back at this point is shipping charges, lol. If I can find a deck locally (maybe tonight) there's no way I'll be able to resist. Yes, that is my mission tonight...

Good luck!

LB

Queen Bee

Anyone want to take a whack at de-enabling me from some of these?

Crystal Tarots
Etruscan Tarot
Herbal Tarot
Old English Tarot
Tarot of Duerer
Ships of Fools Tarot