The De-Enabling Thread

jackdaw*

I think your advice comes too late, Gregory. See the other thread about which version to buy ...

Galatea

I thank all of you for your excellent and highly professional attempts to de-enable me! I regret having to announce that I am one of the lost cases of this thread, and have now posted a thread on which version to buy.... But don´t be too sad about it, you can never save them all ;)!

gregory

Galatea said:
I thank all of you for your excellent and highly professional attempts to de-enable me! I regret having to announce that I am one of the lost cases of this thread, and have now posted a thread on which version to buy.... But don´t be too sad about it, you can never save them all ;)!
This thread has never once worked on me... :|

It might have done if I had asked about the Charmed before... But I don't think anyone else has been stupid enough - except Jeannette for archive purposes !

Debra

Make your own tarot bags, alternate suggestion....

QueenofPentacles said:
I tried to make a Tarot bag. Once. It looks like a little white satin potato sack. I have next to no sewing abilities :p can't even sew a button back on to make it stay there.

Yes, Swords such as myself are fine with sharp instruments such as needles and thread, but Pentacles may be better off with glue guns.

jackdaw*

I sometimes think we Pentacles are better with the coins we use to buy our own bags :p but I will have to try the glue guns.

weaver

honest difference of opinion

QueenofPentacles said:
Talk you out of the Maat, you say?

- too big to be comfortably usable.
- very expensive.
- flimsy cardstock.
- some very disturbingly bloody cards (Three and Ten of Swords, for example)
- very focused on childbirth and motherhood as the be-all and end-all. If that is not your own deeply-felt belief, those cards will really annoy you.
- book's font is hard to read.
- artist's name/copyright year - NOT a signature, but computer-generated - prominent on the bottom of each card. It's a little distracting.
In that this is a de-enabling thread, I opted to keep my very positive views of the Maat Tarot to myself. That said, I have decided it is appropriate for me to provide another take on the quality of the deck's cardstock. While I respect QoP's opinions, I really disagree with the expressed assessment of Maat Tarot's cardstock. I think it is absolutely extraordinary!

Finding the perfect cardstock for large card decks is difficult because of their size. Typically, either the cards end up being too thick, more closely resembling a stack of coasters (think Voyager) or can seem flimsy and insubstantial. (I would wager many of us have read the recent posts which discuss the good folks at Magic Realist Press grappling with this very same challenge.)

While the Maat Tarot is not a deck that will be to everyone's liking (no deck, after all, is) I would hate to see a person put off acquiring it because they think it is made with inferior cardstock. At least know there is room for disagreement on this score. I love it! I find it to be strong and flexible. It feels substantial without being too thick. In short, it is one of the aspects of the deck that exceeded my (rather high) expectations!

weaver

jackdaw*

Thanks, weaver, I guess I should clarify my comments on the Maat's cardstock.

I did not say that it was inferior, I said it was flimsy. And I stand by that remark. It is quite thin for the size of the cards, which makes them more difficult to shuffle than cards of that size already are. Other large cards have stock that appears insubstantial - the DruidCraft, Cary-Yale Visconti and Medieval Scapini spring to mind. On a deck the size of the Ancestral Path this would be a nice weight for the cards. For cards this big, I found that they are too "wobbly".

So I should rephrase my de-enabling. The cardstock of the Maat I find to be too flimsy for their size. I think if it was a bit more rigid (or even better, a bit smaller!) it would be of exceptional quality.

But, revisiting my cards, I realized one other thing. The finish is just sticky enough that two cards often stick together, which is not always noticeable because of the slender thickness of the cards. Though I imagine this will wear off over time.

Queen of Pentacle

A wonderful deck, if you can overcome the ugly character

I ordered this tarot because of the so many positive reviews I read. When I opened the box, I didn’t really now what to think.

The companion book and especially the Druidcraft method are very interesting and a so coherent: by itself, it worth the price of the kit.

The cards are oversized, well printed on heavy stock. Some of the cards are stunningly beautiful. For instance, the ace of sword is sumptuous, coming out a lake of emerald and sapphire. The ace of cup is flowing with beauty. The Moon make one dreams.

All the backgrounds are wonderful, the landscape are gorgeous and full of details, the surrounding are unbelievable. But I was so very disappointed by the peoples. With few exceptions, they all look gross, somewhat cartoonish hand and feet are oversized. King of Pentacle reminds me of Bluto in “Popeye”. So much insight, so much craftsmanship and artistry on the background, sky, animals and details, so gauche artistry for the faces and expression.

I tried and retry to use this deck, but always feel so repelled by the shown people that I hardly can overcome it. And it is a shame, because everything else is so beautiful.

Little Baron

And not to mention that kid on the horse in the 'Sun' card!!!!!

*strangles throat with horror*

LB