The Idea Thread

Minotauro

I think we should also start " books tudy groups " as well as just deck study groups , Im just reading 78 degrees of wisdom and I know I'd love to discuss the book chapter by chapter , the author views compared to mine etc.

another thing I'd like to see is more people posting about their own methods or diferent conclusions they have made , etc. I rarely see things like this , the only one that comes to mind right now is nisabas timing method and I think that was a revived old thread.

how come we have deck creation threads and not techniques or books or theories creation threads? or resources threads! , how about people who have made their own cheat sheet? or those who have made their own tarot journal template in word? or worksheets for this or that card , etc! so that even those who dont have questions can make threads , and people could elarn from them.

perhaps also some in depth study or advanced techniques or somethings so the older memebers dont get bored. that is important , because it is due to old members leaving that the forums remains with newbies questions all the time , once they have cleared the same old doubts they leave.

as for how do we decide who gets to become a mentor , I think it is up to them , if they think they could be a mentor , then , they should be :) and perhaps have mentors rotations or something? XD lol

Sulis

Moderator message

Minotauro said:
I think we should also start " books tudy groups " as well as just deck study groups , Im just reading 78 degrees of wisdom and I know I'd love to discuss the book chapter by chapter , the author views compared to mine etc.

There are book study groups over in the Tarot Study Groups forum.
Take a look at the Tarot Study Groups index and the books are at the bottom, below the decks: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=399986
There is a group for the '78 Degrees of Wisdom'.

I have to say that reading through this thread I've found that an awful lot of these suggestions are here already, people just haven't looked or haven't found them.

The 'mentor scheme' that people are talking about is something that will need to be thought through carefully if it is adopted at all.. Is Aeclectic going to back these mentors and if so who says who's a good enough reader to be a mentor? Who keeps tabs on the mentors? There are a myriad of problems that I can see surrounding something like that and I'm sure that's what's stopped us doing such a thing before.

Could I ask that folks ask the moderators before assuming that something doesn't exist and also ask the moderators before any of these ideas are implemented since things cannot generally 'just be started' here.

This is Solandia's forum, it's not a democracy and serious ideas for change need to go through the moderating team and Solandia first.

Sulis - Talking Tarot co-moderator

Grizabella

There are book study groups over in the Tarot Study Groups forum.
Take a look at the Tarot Study Groups index and the books are at the bottom, below the decks: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=399986
There is a group for the '78 Degrees of Wisdom'.

I have to say that reading through this thread I've found that an awful lot of these suggestions are here already, people just haven't looked or haven't found them.

The 'mentor scheme' that people are talking about is something that will need to be thought through carefully if it is adopted at all.. Is Aeclectic going to back these mentors and if so who says who's a good enough reader to be a mentor? Who keeps tabs on the mentors? There are a myriad of problems that I can see surrounding something like that and I'm sure that's what's stopped us doing such a thing before.

Could I ask that folks ask the moderators before assuming that something doesn't exist and also ask the moderators before any of these ideas are implemented since things cannot generally 'just be started' here.

This is Solandia's forum, it's not a democracy and serious ideas for change need to go through the moderating team and Solandia first.

Sulis - Talking Tarot co-moderator

Yeah, what she said. :p

All these are good ideas, but as many positive things as we can think of attached to them, there are equally as many problems that could arise because of them, too, and that would leave the burden on the mods and Solandia for trying to unscramble the ensuing problems. This is a huge forum, so imagine what might become of so many people even mentoring. True, it's a learning forum, but that's kind of different than a "teaching" forum when you think about it. People can learn here but that doesn't mean we're formally teaching.

Sulis

I'd also like to say that there are many other forums in the Subscriber areas; I'm noticing that a lot of the people posting here who here wanting change aren't forum subscribers.
If you really want to help the forum please consider upgrading your membership so that you're really supporting us.
To upgrade click Upgrade button (click) and follow the links.

To add to what Griz has said above (thanks Griz :), this is a teaching and learning forum already which is why we don't have a place for 'free readings', instead we have a Reading Exchange and a Your Readings forum where we ask thread starters to interpret the cards themselves before anyone helps them.

Personally I really don't see any need for formalised teaching or mentoring here since there is so much to learn here anyway if you put some effort in yourself and look ;).

Kosjitov

I've been pondering this since we started and I find myself more in agreement with Sulis, Wendy, Griz, and their last posts.

Could mod lock this thread for us please? :)

Milfoil

I've been pondering this since we started and I find myself more in agreement with Sulis, Wendy, Griz, and their last posts.

Could mod lock this thread for us please? :)

Well, it is an interesting thread and has outlined several areas that new members like yourself have not yet found either because they are not subscribers or simply because AT is a BIG place with lots to investigate. Why close it?

Vibrancy often comes hand in hand with novelty and the new. What most people find difficult is the hard work which comes later. Sometimes its boring, sometimes repetitive but eventually the work pays off. Remember the film Karate Kid? It seems to be a condition which contemporary society suffers from - the need to be entertained and to have it all now. Virtually everything that has been considered on this thread is already here but it will take time to wade through the masses of insight posted here even though there are index threads in just about every area.

With regard to mentors - this sets up several significant problems:

a) who is considered to be adequately qualified to be a mentor?
b) who feels the need to be a mentor (what ego is going on there?)
c) who feels resentful that they may need a mentor?

As far as being sanctioned by AT, that opens a BIG can of worms which I doubt will ever come about. Mentoring usually happens organically. As they say, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. If you enjoy the way someone posts and find real learning in their words, then it is possible that a natural friendship will arise. You may also find, 6 weeks later, that their words are hollow and you are glad you didn't take them too seriously.

For any community to be vibrant, it requires hard working, dedicated people who are enthusiastic about their interest, who push the boundaries yet remain true to their core beliefs and who encourage others along the path. The more rules, levels and 'facts' there are around a subject so open to interpretation as Tarot, the less dynamic the subject will eventually be.

Alta

I have been reading this thread with interest and neither do I see that it needs to be closed. There are some good ideas here. I am going to refer the thread to Solandia with some comments.

gregory

I cannot subscribe to a mentoring thing - as I said in the other thread. Absolutely no way. But somewhere you could look for "where should I post this" and "where are the card meanings" (It's amazing how many people don't see the learn button, or who don't think that will be in there !)

OR EVEN (ping moment) Would it help at all to have a thread for "searched and can't find" in tech support ? So that people who post the "usual questions" and who HAD tried can be directed ?

Honest to god, on the dragons forum I am on, there is one question that has been asked in Help AT LEAST three times every day for the last two weeks - a new thread EVERY TIME. There is a lot of thread closure and merging...

OR - anther idea - tech support isn't/doesn't always feel like always the right place; what about a "Help" sub forum - or just rename that Help, if that's what is looked for ? As in "Help; I can't find the card meanings."

In fact, on the dragon forum, there is a thread called Tiny Little Questions. It is cleaned out every few days, and you are advised to save the answers you need, but it is very useful (and yes, they ask that question in that thread as well, but - hey, well... :()

Bridget

Noted Cardlady. Back OT. Still fishing for ideas how to help our situation. Any takers?
Haven't finished this thread yet, but I want to suggest closing and restarting threads at a lower number of posts. Gryffinsong mentioned on page 2 that she can't keep up with the longer threads, and I feel the same; it's really hard to join a conversation when you feel you must read 400+ posts first!

gregory

That would be fine for some threads - but in many with really good and interesting arguments, you'd have to go back and read it all anyway. There was an amazing one a few years back about the Behenian Stars, for instance - and many of the historical ones you NEED the background; you'd only have to go back anyway ! and the ones about the various Thoth editions you need the whole lot :) To take just a couple !

Well, I do. :)

And if you DON'T - read back as far as you can stand ? Which would be what you'd effectively be doing if the thread had to be closed and thus broken...