The Lost Code of Tarot

rwcarter

LoS manufactures all of their decks in one place at the same time. Some number of them are put on a rather slow boat and shipped to the US for Llewellyn to distribute. Llewellyn doesn't usually manufacture the decks that they distribute for LoS. That's why the deck is coming out in Europe in Feb and in the US in June.

In very rare cases, decks are manufactured in North America and the process is reversed with the slow boat heading LoS's way. Those decks are then available earlier in the US than they are in Europe. There's only been one or two cases that I can remember where that has happened though. I have a vague memory of one case where LoS shipped boxes only to LLewellyn, and I can't remember if that was because of the typo on the box for "Sweet Twiligth" or if it was a different deck.

The Llewellyn/LoS confusion happens all the time and is discussed quite regularly here at Aeclectic. One other thing to point out is that pictures of LoS decks are usually mock-ups that go out to vendors often before the deck has been manufactured. So the final product may not look exactly like what you see on the vendor's website.

Rodney

Scarlet Woodland

Perhaps as we get closer to the release date, the prices will fall more in line with each other. Would make total sense for it to be the usual, two distributions for the same product dealy then.

agviz

This arrived the other day and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The online images seemed quirky and eccentric, but in person the fine lines compete with the heavily textured background and there is a sameness to the cards. Maybe I'll have to work with it a little and see how it goes - but I have a bad feeling I'm not going to click with this deck.

Anyone else have this? Comments?

Le Fanu

Mine's on the way. I ordered from the Book Depository so it will take a while. It wasn't a must-have deck for me - but something about it aroused my curiosity. We'll see. Is it a magnetic kit box? What's the book like?

chorphee

Magnetic kit box yes, really nice but I guess it is to compensate the bad quality of the cards.

They are thin, too easely "bendable", difficult to shuffle they stick together, they aren't perfectly cut, the colors on the back are already going away.

I don't know what they have in mind. Do they think we will use/shuffle the box and stare at the cards? If so, they did a great job. Or perhaps having lots of decks I am being more difficult to please.

agviz

...They are thin, too easely "bendable"...

If for this alone, I don't believe I'll be keeping this deck. It seems to be more of a showy artist's creation rather than a usable tarot.

Michellehihi

I received it, the limited edition. The box is very solid with a magnetic closing. The book has 160 pages. It is a fantasy, they made up a story of a discovery of the very first tarot. They made up newspapers releases and all this. I find the cardstock OK, maybe the limited edition is different? My initial impression is that is is a funny deck, but not a very profound one.

Sphynx131

I got my copy yesterday - I had pre-ordered just the cards since that was all that was available on Amazon.ca. I did seriously debate buying the Limited Edition set from Amazon.com but in the end really couldn't justify spending that much more for it with our crappy exchange rate. Well to my surprise they sent me the LE set, but I think I must have gotten a quality control reject ha ha. The outer box is slightly damaged on three of the corners and it has a dent on one corner where it looks like someone dropped it. Inside it's ok, the book has a little crumple in the "dropped" corner but the cards are fine except for the fact that I have doubles of the Hierophant, Justice and Star cards. The card stock is a bit thin, but not the worst I've seen, and I wasn't expecting the backs to be grey either (maybe another reject factor? lol) I like the artwork it's funky, but I don't know how much I'll actually use it. Long story short, I like it, glad I have it but I'm very glad I didn't actually pay for the LE version.

Le Fanu

But the limited edition is the affordably priced one. It isn't expensive.

You get the standard set with book and it comes as a limited edition set. I honestly don't know of a non-limited edition which is even cheaper.

Such a weird publication, this one. Of all the lovely LoS deck that could have been marketed as a limited edition - something special - and they choose this one.

A word of warning to anyone who buys this - do not, under any circumstances shuffle it. You'll never again be able to identify the cards. And the book doesn't identify the cards. The book is just pages and pages of pretend, imaginary, invented waffle on the archeological history of a not-real deck.

I made the mistake of shuffling mine and I have no idea what's what now. Is that Justice or the Queen of Swords or maybe the Hermit? The book you can't make head or tail of. It is just the wierdest thing. Very scrawley and monochrome and stick-like.

Michellehihi

But the limited edition is the affordably priced one. It isn't expensive.

You get the standard set with book and it comes as a limited edition set. I honestly don't know of a non-limited edition which is even cheaper.

Such a weird publication, this one. Of all the lovely LoS deck that could have been marketed as a limited edition - something special - and they choose this one.

A word of warning to anyone who buys this - do not, under any circumstances shuffle it. You'll never again be able to identify the cards. And the book doesn't identify the cards. The book is just pages and pages of pretend, imaginary, invented waffle on the archeological history of a not-real deck.

I made the mistake of shuffling mine and I have no idea what's what now. Is that Justice or the Queen of Swords or maybe the Hermit? The book you can't make head or tail of. It is just the wierdest thing. Very scrawley and monochrome and stick-like.
I like your review! Me too I found this deck very strange, but then if you are not going to shuffle it, means you will not use it?