The Lost Code of Tarot

Le Fanu

Basically the edition you are buying from Amazon and Book depository is the exact same one kickstarters got.
Instead of backing a self created edition we in fact pre-ordered a mass market edition at a premium price..
But on balance, I guess there are more people who bought the edition from amazon / Book Depository at a cheaper price than there are angry kickstarter backers who paid more so - hey - looking on the positive side, more satisfied than dissatisfied people. So that's nice...

rylla

But on balance, I guess there are more people who bought the edition from amazon / Book Depository at a cheaper price than there are angry kickstarter backers who paid more so - hey - looking on the positive side, more satisfied than dissatisfied people. So that's nice...

I don't think this balances out for those who backed this project. Why has to be a negative side of the balance? There are many decks out there (including those backed on kickstarter) with (more or less) satisfied people - without some of them feeling cheated. And it's not a good publicity for kickstarter projects or so many other artists who would deserve it.

Tippyjane

I don't think this balances out for those who backed this project. Why has to be a negative side of the balance? There are many decks out there (including those backed on kickstarter) with (more or less) satisfied people - without some of them feeling cheated. And it's not a good publicity for kickstarter projects or so many other artists who would deserve it.

I'm so very disappointed about how this was handled. Even if I was totally in love with it, I would still be pissed off.

Starson

i feel for the kickstarter backers but i did get mine from amazon. I love this deck BUT hate the card stock. I good card stock means a whole lot to me.

rwcarter

A word of warning to anyone who buys this - do not, under any circumstances shuffle it. You'll never again be able to identify the cards. And the book doesn't identify the cards. The book is just pages and pages of pretend, imaginary, invented waffle on the archeological history of a not-real deck.
Finally got my pre-ordered edition this week and just opened it a few minutes ago. For those who didn't get the kit, you really didn't miss anything. As Le Fanu says the book is pretty much useless for making heads or tails out of the deck except for pages 108-109 which explain the symbols on the bottom of the Major cards. Page 109 lists "The Symbols of Divination" that are 15 different symbols that are the basis of the 12 original spreads in the book. Nowhere in the book that I see are there any interpretations of the cards. Oh, the inhumanity of killing all those trees to make this book! :(

I seriously doubt that I will ever be interested (or even bored) enough to read the book except for the pages I've listed above, much less from cover to cover.

And as Sphynx131 said, the Majors are numbered. (except for the Fool). The numbers are in red somewhere along the top of the card. The numbers are vaguely Roman numerals. Before a V or an X the "I" looks more like a "J" with an extended flat lower part. After a V or an X the "I" looks more like an "L". A string of the "L" character is nested together kind of like the Russian Nesting Dolls. So 6 is VL, 7 is VLL, 8 is VLLL, etc with the "L"s nested.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the two extra cards in the deck. The first card in my deck (before the Fool) looks like a Fortuneteller card. The last card in the deck (after the King Swords) looks like an elephant crossing water with an ornate set of houses on its back and a shooting star in the sky. I can deal with the fortuneteller card, but the elephant card is definitely a WTF card for me.

I agree that the cardstock is very bending and definitely doesn't lend itself to riffle shuffling.

This deck is a curiosity. I doubt I'll ever use it to read with. A friend of mine loves hers though. She finds the quirkiness of it endearing.

Rodney

gregory

What he said about the 2 extra cards... The book comes over as a spoof, to me. I shall read it properly later, but it doesn't do much for divination !

But I quite like the cards and the stock isn't a problem for me. I can't see why it's supposed to be impossible to put them back in order after shuffling, either.

I might read with it next time I'm in a circle })

rwcarter

My friend did a reading for me with her deck last weekend. Just happened to get all Majors. Still not overly impressed with the deck though. I think the art would be more interesting if they hadn't artificially aged the cards. Yeah, I know that's part of the whole "shtick" of the deck, but it's still rather distracting.

Luna's Crone

i thought the reviews at amazon just about the deck where enough to keep me from ever buying the deck.