The Wild Unknown Tarot

Padma

I mean, I get it at an intellectual level (like of course the chick as the Fool, and that lion holding the rose as Strength --what an image!-- and the birds in the 3 of Cups), but it doesn't speak to me. It's too spare. It's for people who need clean and spare to soar.

Me, I need busy, like all those folds of brocade and lace in the Illuminati or the Bohemian Cats.

Yes, same...I do love me a busy deck! :D

I do have the app for this deck, and the pip cards still stymie me. They inspire light or dark or ambivalent impressions or feelings, but that is about it. I do love the animals in the deck :) not enough to buy it, though! The app is more than enough! (and at $6.99, way more affordable!)

MandMaud

Those thinking about bags -- does anyone use furoshiki wraps? I find some of those have a really different feel. But of course you need to know how to tie them -- or cheat like I do and get one wrapped as you like it, then add a few stitches or fabric glue, maybe a button.
Alternatively, google how to fold furoshiki and use a square scarf. :D

After months and months, I finally let my own go. It's a beautiful, brilliantly conceived deck, just not for me.

I mean, I get it at an intellectual level (like of course the chick as the Fool, and that lion holding the rose as Strength --what an image!-- and the birds in the 3 of Cups), but it doesn't speak to me. It's too spare. It's for people who need clean and spare to soar.

Me, I need busy, like all those folds of brocade and lace in the Illuminati or the Bohemian Cats.

I'm strongly tempted by the Illuminati as well, though in love with the WU. I recently got the Pearls of Wisdom which I expected to complement this really well, but something's "off" and I haven't got my head round it yet... but with regard to the WU, I would have said I'd never fall for a black n white deck! Your words on the WU are almost word for word what I just said to someone about my reaction to the Ironwing... funny, isn't it. :)

Cocobird55

Tarot Illuminati is almost the opposite the The Wild Unknown.

I love both of them!

FLizarraga

Tarot Illuminati is almost the opposite the The Wild Unknown.

I love both of them!

I do, too. And I actually prefer the art of the Wild Unknown, as art. But I can read a storm with the Illuminati and the WU leaves me gaping like a fish. Weird, isn't it?

FLizarraga

I'm strongly tempted by the Illuminati as well, though in love with the WU. I recently got the Pearls of Wisdom which I expected to complement this really well, but something's "off" and I haven't got my head round it yet... but with regard to the WU, I would have said I'd never fall for a black n white deck! Your words on the WU are almost word for word what I just said to someone about my reaction to the Ironwing... funny, isn't it. :)

Yes, it is. And it makes me think, since the Ironwing is very high in my wish list. Well, so was the Greenwood, and I can't connect with that one, either. Maybe I'm not meant to read with non-anthropomorphized animals?

The Pearls of Wisdom is complex, but I find better to kinda let it flow. It's all about emotion. Don't try to "get it" or use your head.

Madrigal

Yes, it is. And it makes me think, since the Ironwing is very high in my wish list. Well, so was the Greenwood, and I can't connect with that one, either. Maybe I'm not meant to read with non-anthropomorphized animals?

Wah, Ironwing caught my eye so I looked it up and immediately thought, all women, shamanism, earth's metals, Yes! Only to find it's sold out and wildly OOP :(

And whoever said WU and Illuminati are polar opposites...yep, have to agree here. I have both and like both.

MandMaud

I do, too. And I actually prefer the art of the Wild Unknown, as art. But I can read a storm with the Illuminati and the WU leaves me gaping like a fish. Weird, isn't it?
Reminds me of what I have found about poets. With some people I just "click", and with some people's writing I just "click", but usually if I click with the person I find their poetry hard to relate to. Makes no sense to me!

I don't hang out with the famous, by the way - or the dead. Attended a lot of writers' circles over the years. :)

The Pearls of Wisdom is complex, but I find better to kinda let it flow. It's all about emotion. Don't try to "get it" or use your head.

The problem, I think, is that I got the poker size and shouldn't have. I have to take my specs off to see the details and cannot take in more than one card at a glance. The amount of work it would take to get to know them thoroughly is coming between us. :( Can't afford to replace this with the jumbo size (very close to the WU size) because the postage to the UK is as much as the deck itself.

I'm hoping to connect sooner or later, and if we don't, I'll have to cut my losses.

FLizarraga

Reminds me of what I have found about poets. With some people I just "click", and with some people's writing I just "click", but usually if I click with the person I find their poetry hard to relate to. Makes no sense to me!

I don't hang out with the famous, by the way - or the dead. Attended a lot of writers' circles over the years. :)

I hang out with the dead all the time. ;)

That's a great simile.

The problem, I think, is that I got the poker size and shouldn't have. I have to take my specs off to see the details and cannot take in more than one card at a glance. The amount of work it would take to get to know them thoroughly is coming between us. :(

Oooooh. Yes, I can see that would be a problem, MandMaud. I have the Tarot-size first edition, and that size is cramped enough. :(

The Wild Unknown is just the opposite --so spare, so airy. Well, some cards are somewhat busier, like the Wheel of Fortune, but they are never cramped. In contrast, Pearls of Wisdom has a really extreme case of horror vacui.

Pixna

The Ironwing Tarot looks amazing, and, oddly enough, I see some vague similarities between it and the WU, though maybe it's the black-and-white line drawings and minimalist use of color. How sad that it's out of print and the creator has no intention of reviving it. I can't imagine all the work and creativity that went into it, and for it to lie dormant now is heartbreaking.

nisaba

Alternatively, google how to fold furoshiki and use a square scarf.

Never heard of it before so I went to a better source than Google, Wikipedia. (LOVE Wiki!)

I'm gobsmacked that you don't do this already.

I've been buying square silks for thirty years to wrap my favourite decks in. My closure is slightly different to the ones photographed on the Wiki page, but just as firm and complete, holding the deck as tightly as the original packaging does.

I'm pouting: it has a name I didn't know, and no one credits me with inventing it, which I indubitably did. And no, you don't need glue. Just unwrap the decks when you use them, then rewrap them.