The Wild Unknown Tarot

nisaba

The Ironwing Tarot looks amazing, and, oddly enough, I see some vague similarities between it and the WU, though maybe it's the black-and-white line drawings and minimalist use of color. How sad that it's out of print and the creator has no intention of reviving it. I can't imagine all the work and creativity that went into it, and for it to lie dormant now is heartbreaking.

Oh, it's not lying dormant, trust me.

Pixna

Oh, it's not lying dormant, trust me.

I meant her originals. She states on her site that she has no intention of printing the deck again. I'm sure those who have one use it and/or are glad to own it. But I find the fact that she has buried the originals and has no plans of reviving them quite sad.

MandMaud

Never heard of it before so I went to a better source than Google, Wikipedia. (LOVE Wiki!)

I'm gobsmacked that you don't do this already.

I've been buying square silks for thirty years to wrap my favourite decks in. My closure is slightly different to the ones photographed on the Wiki page, but just as firm and complete, holding the deck as tightly as the original packaging does.

I'm pouting: it has a name I didn't know, and no one credits me with inventing it, which I indubitably did. And no, you don't need glue. Just unwrap the decks when you use them, then rewrap them.

Chrome ate my post last night - but I was about to say: when I first discovered furoshiki, there was a whole website about it which I now can't find. I was charmed by the way you can make a shoulder bag or handbag by altering the knot, or it may be altering exactly how you tie it. I like the idea of wrapping a deck with a handle!

Yes, I know the basic idea is simple and intuitive, but that site had dozens of variations.
This is the best I can find now: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hM-k1zQzDZ0/TZunQWsD4MI/AAAAAAAAHyY/4TJIpfLnPLM/s1600/Furoshiki-02.jpg
Not nearly as much detail.

I was also charmed by the fact this is for wrapping gifts. In Japan we were once given a melon as a guest gift - and there's a 'Watermelon Carry Wrap' among the diagrams in that link' - though ours was presented in a (rather classy) box. :)

But for me personally, I'm too impatient to fiddle around more than pulling a drawstring open. :D

DaughterOfDanu

I got around to crocheting a bag last night. I was inspired mostly by the 10 of Pentacles, but in general wanted to mirror what makes this deck special visually- the vibrant colors in selective places. I also added a cute little mushroom charm to one of the drawstrings too.

I probably would have gone with a darker gray, but this is what I had on hand. I'm trying to use up some yarn before I buy more. I've got more than plenty.

http://imgur.com/zOOy2fT

The only courts so far that have come up were to do with Wands. I thought I'd have an issue with the court cards but they're so intriguing. This deck is definitely a keeper for me! :D

Cocobird55

Very nice bag!

Pixna

That's lovely, TreeLeafe! Looks like such an appropriate bag for the deck!

Arimaya

Thanks to the Mom, I am joining the WU lovers as of today. Definitely keeping an eye on y'all and digging through for other threads on impressions now...

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks EnchantedShadow :).
I've weighed the decks, and there's almost 1/2oz difference the old and new - and that's weighing 2 different old decks, and 2 different new decks. I've written them with this info and sent pics of the differences in the thickness of the stacks.

[...]

Michael

Gosh just as I was wondering about the "now printed in China" comment by someone. I bought mine last year. Thinking of getting another deck when I heard that. Love love love how it was. Anxious to know how the current printing is different from their 'original'.

The Happy Squirrel

The Happy Squirrel

Ok, here's the last couple of conversations I've had with The Wild Unknown concerning their card stock, starting with one of my emails - at this point I had returned one of my new decks and they had replaced to two I ordered with two more of the same:

Me: What's the verdict ? Obviously the first run decks are superior in
every way to this last batch... did your printer outsource the job or
something ? Even if it cannot be fixed, I'd still like to know what
happened... ?

Jonn Ollsin: Hello Michael,

I just wanted to follow up on your email.

We have made no conscious changes to the printing of the deck, same parameters, same printer as the first run. Due to the extreme popularity of our deck, they are being printed in a higher qty than before though still nothing close to a big publisher. We are a tiny artist run company and take pride in our product, upon examination we agree with you that there are subtle differences in the new decks. We have taken up the issue with our printer and are sending some examples from the first run for them to compare to, our goal is to maintain the same high quality as we grow! Congratulations on scoring a first edition, they sold out very fast.

Thank you for supporting The Wild Unknown.

Jonn Ollsin

Me: Thanks John,
I appreciated the reply. Such as it is, I received my two original
decks on Nov. 21, 2012.... and if you held an old one in one hand a
new one in the other, you would without a doubt say, "What the heck
happened ?"
I know you're busy, but if there's an new developments, could you
consider letting me know ? I STILL want to get whatever the originals
were printed on..

And yes, I never miss an opportunity to "talk up your deck"...

SO.... I guess "it is what it is". What they've got now is what to expect if you order. They have acknowledged the differences in weight, height, and lamination and right now nothing is changing.

Michael

So the conclusion is that the current batch is not of the same quality.
Sad.