the worst deck you've purchased

Gillyboo

Deviant Moon

It is funny how we're all so different.

I had been a little disturbed by the Deviant Moon's imagery (though it's no doubt gorgeous). Since so many people loved it, I thought I'd give it a whirl anyway.

I initially had a good reading with it but the images kept creeping and morphing in my mind darkly (I had a bad bug at the time too, so no doubt there was a negative association effect.) So, out the deck went. I just couldn't have it in my home after that. But I totally get why people love that deck.

Touchstone is my favorite deck (noted as someone else's least favorite). So, one person's love potion is another's emetic. :bugeyed:

Aeric

The Miss Cleo deck! I bought it just for a laugh and because I knew it would be a collector's item one day.

I tried seriously reading with it and I just couldn't. The faux-Ancient Egyptian art is clumsily and hastily executed. I was laughing the whole time. The extra cards endorse Ms. Cleo's hotline and her expertise as a "Tarot Shaman." Good times, baybee! CALL ME NAO!

The honest purchase I've had trouble with is Book of Thoth Etteilla. I find the printed upright and reversed keywords so restrictive that it almost reads arbitrarily, like an oracle deck. The art feels so cold, grim, and vague. I keep it mostly for historical purposes.

danieljuk

Fascinating artwork. If you'd like to trade it away I'm interested in giving it a go. I'm in the process of putting together a trade list, and we could post in the trade forum. :)

I kinda like the art! I wanna see if she publishes a guide book for it :)
but if I grow tired of it, shall set up a trade with you GryffinSong!

Lady Morgaine

Shadowscapes

Yep, one of the most beautiful decks ever. Thought it would be perfect.

I was surprised when I bought the "Shadowscapes" deck. I love the art of Stephanie Pui Mun Law. I watched her build the deck card by card and waited with bated breath for it to be published. When I finally got it....nope couldn't read them.

LM

Morwenna

It was probably the Herbal. When I first saw it, I thought, Wow, herbalism and Tarot in one! But I never got properly "grabbed" by it once I had it, and I didn't do enough work on the herbalism side of it for it to make proper sense; so after letting it sit for years unused, I finally sold it last autumn.

foolMoon

I am waiting for a Tarot of Illuminati and DruidCraft deck to arrive this week. Not sure if I will like them or not. Will do update here when they arrive.

Today both decks arrived. I like the TOI very much. Colour of each card is beautiful. Like the images as well although they are a bit busy & complicated. It shuffles and reads very well.

I am not so sure about the DruidCraft deck now. I was shocked to see one card from DruidCraft deck is badly damaged on unpacking and checking through. I arranged return / replace with the seller straight. Somehow I can't judge about this deck yet until the replacement arrives. I am not too keen on the thinness of the card stock of DruidCraft deck despite it being largish cards.

Sorry that I am talking about these cards, as OP was about the worst deck purchased. Just updating my last post.

AberrantMuse

Steampunk O:

I had heard many good things about the Steampunk tarot prior to my use of it. I received it as a gift from a friend, and upon receipt, my eagerness was endless- but it just didn't fit me. Occasionally, I'll have a friend request I read them with it- and I don't mind it. The images are so fantastic- but it just doesn't suit me if that makes sense.

Krystophe

Robert Place's Alchemical Tarot, hands down. The companion book is actually quite full of useful and interesting information, but the cards themselves are absolutely dreadful. They are said to be inspired by engravings printed in 16th and 17th century alchemical treatises; but the colors are quite garish, the linework is clumsy and heavy handed, and the overall appearance is more akin to comic-book art. I have seen many of the engravings that these cards reference, and comparing the originals to the cards in this deck is much like comparing a performance of the Metropolitan Opera to a group of middle-schoolers putting on their first musical. (No insult intended to the middle-schoolers, of course; I don't believe they usually compare themselves to the Met! I simply believe that an artist referencing a source should make a much better effort to do justice to that source than what I see in this deck.)