uh, unusual tarot bags

canid

Kangaroo scrotum bags! I kid you not-I got one for a small deck & boy is it a conversation starter! They're very reasonable, are seamless, come in many sizes (heehee) AND you're actually doing a good deed for the kangaroos. Seems they're overpopulated & starving so an organization in Australia is castrating a certain percentage of males. The proceeds from the 'bags' help support their endeavor. They're really kinda cool, look just like tan leather (duh), have a drawstring & an aussie stamp. If you're handy with needle & thread, you could personalize it with beads or whatever you want. What do you think?

Onyx

What do I think? Putting my cards in a bag made from a Kangaroo's scrotum?

I think that I will just have to pass and stay with boxes and bags made of cloth.

Though I could image in would be very protective.

Onyx.

motsa

"...all those in possession of one is assured of a long life, happiness and healthy children"
Except the male kangaroos, presumably. ;)

blue_fusion

weeeell, they don't look too much like scrotum (scrota/scrotae? haha), except perhaps those *ahem* bifurcated ones. And, like what the thread poster said, it is an act of charity or another.

Apollonia

Questioning the benefit to the kangaroos

I'm not seeing the part that says it's for the good of the kangaroos. Is there a link to that part? I want to read that for myself, before I decide that this is a good thing.

When I was a veterinary technician, I assisted on a lot of dog neutering surgeries, and, at least for dogs, you don't take the scrotal sac off. The dog got to keep all his skin. Even on a large dog, the longest incision I ever saw was about 2 inches, and most were a great deal smaller than that. Looking at the size of the bags offered, that would be a very large incision. I don't know what the procedure is for a kangaroo vs a dog, but back in the day, the idea was to have the smallest incision possible, and that would not include taking away so much skin.

Also, in my experience, sites that are doing things for the benefit of animals are very respectful, and do not promote the idea of pieces of them being sexy or cute, unique gift items. That is kind of disturbing to me.

If this turns out to be a good thing for the roos, I'm all for it, but I'd like to see some documentation before I hop on the bandwagon.

blue_fusion

I'm not really sure but I think for marsupials, the gonads are internal...

*edited to add* I just realized the idiocy in my comment. How would there be these leather pouches if marsupial gonads are indeed internal. My bad. :)

AJ

to each their own, but it reminds me of the lamp shades and bags made from the skin of human victims of the Holocaust

Greg Stanton

AJ said:
to each their own, but it reminds me of the lamp shades and bags made from the skin of human victims of the Holocaust
Wow, AJ, you're... dramatic.

I love these scrote bags. I just don't hink they're big enough for the cards.