Wisdom of Avalon Oracle Cards

6 Haunted Days

I got these just as I was leaving for work, the mailman handed me the package as I left lol. So I looked through the cards and book when it was slow.

I love the size and gilt edgings but must admit the artwork didn't astound me as it seems to have others. It's very pretty, but kind of washed-out. It's done in what I presume is a watercolours media, and there is a lack of vibrant colours (something I very much prefer!). The path cards actually have a very serene and welcoming photograph of a path, I wasn't expecting that! That is a photograph isn't it?

I have not seen much of actual Avalon images or wisdom in the cards or book to be honest. It's pretty superficial Avalon type knowledge. I have of course been studying Avalon mysteries for about 15 years so perhaps I was expecting more. For example the Spider card. The book wisdom for this card is all about creativity. Now that certainly can be a obvious way of thinking in terms of the spider, weaving and webs. Creating things, our lives. But as this is supposed to be a deck based on Avalon wisdom where is any mention of the spinning fates? The goddess and the web of Wyrd?

It was like that for most cards. Animals sacred to the Avalon tradition such as the Stag, Deer, Bee and Owl get nary a mention in the book of the mystical meanings and deep connections to the tradition and Underworld. I would say the book is more a self-help book than anything imparting Avalon wisdom or mysteries. If you're looking to learn about those aspects the book won't help at all. Another aspect I found puzzling was that 3 of the faeries are African and the other one is Asian. Since this is supposed to be a deck based on the Avalon mysteries and the British landscape and such I thought it strange the faeries weren't even traditional english faeries.

All in all it's a pretty and interesting set. I am certainly going to enjoy it and use it. But I was really expecting something more actual "Avalon" based. I thought the book was going to be more mystical and full of Avalon tradition wisdom. It's barely there. If I look at it as a pretty oracle with some insightful self-help wisdom I'll get more out of it.

I did do a 3 card reading and all 3 were the path cards :laugh: Woe is me!

Jewel

faunabay said:
edited to add:
Man, I'm just such a sucker! :D I'm buying WAY too many things lately. But I'm finally caught up with my financial stuff and have a little bit of extra money. Last year I couldn't buy anything. Now I'm buying way too many things. (shrug) So it evens out! hehehe But I have to stop! Now that I've ordered the Wisdom of Avalon! :D :D :D
The one with the most toys wins!! :D :D :D :D :D

Cool glad you ordered it, now when the newness wears off you can mail to me so I can check it out *LOL*.

6HD, thank you kindly for your review. Thanks to you I can now wait for Faunabay to mail me her copy. I was hoping it had Avalon mystical stuff, and like you I like bright colorful decks. I am actually thinking I will not need this deck ... I might get the cool animal deck at Tarot Garden instead.

WolfSpirit

6 Haunted Days said:
All in all it's a pretty and interesting set. I am certainly going to enjoy it and use it. But I was really expecting something more actual "Avalon" based. I thought the book was going to be more mystical and full of Avalon tradition wisdom. It's barely there. If I look at it as a pretty oracle with some insightful self-help wisdom I'll get more out of it.

Thanks for this info and everything else you wrote in your insightful post 6HD :)
That is what I was afraid of: they prpbably thought "Avalon" sounded catchy.
It is still pretty though, and not too expensive.

faunabay

Even after your post 6 Haunted Days, I probably would have had to order it anyway. So...... :)
I really wasn't looking for too much Avalon stuff. I've tried other Avalon decks and didn't click with them very much. That was one of the hesitations I had with this one. So maybe NOT being focused too much on Avalon will actually be a plus for me.
I'll let you all know what I think when I get it - for what it's worth. :*

WolfSpirit

faunabay said:
I really wasn't looking for too much Avalon stuff. I've tried other Avalon decks and didn't click with them very much.

Yet you were looking at a deck called the Wisdom of Avalon. You are not a collector by any chance, are you ? ;)

Chronata

Ok...so I just got these in a holiday exchange right here on AT (Thank you Pook! :love:)
and I have to say...I am really quite smitten with them!

I must preface this by saying that usually I don't like much in the way of the Hay House oracle sets...AND I usually don't like decks that use different art work, because I often see this as inconsistancy...

BUT...this deck is really really wonderful! I can see it quickly becoming a new favorite to use...
and the reason is...it reminds me of many of the other oracles I LOVE...all put together in one!

The single words on the sign posts remind me of the Celestial Wisdom, which is one of my favorite oracles simply because the single word...without a picture, often puts me in a much more intuitive mode.

and then there are the people and animals and fairies that remind me of what I love about Madame Endora.

And the pics are gorgeous...really. I love the watercolor illustrations, and I really like the fairy cards too. Even though they are from different artists...they do blend nicely!

and the gold edges...like in the Goddess Guidence...WOW! it's a little extra detail, but it makes the deck that much more....lovely to work with.

I have only done one reading so far for myself...and it was amazingly spot on.

I definitely feel like this is going to be one deck that goes everywhere with me in my public reading box!

CloeCat

I would like to know why people think Faeries are going to look like humans at all??? Let alone like British people how would that help them blend in to the nature around them. As I am remembering in my reading on faeries and the like that live in nature or hide in it, it's their unusual coloring that is usually a clue that they are other than human. though I am sure that there are Faeries that are human like they are not the only kind and in the deck they are showing Elementals not courtly faeries. On top of all the the people of the Arthurian time people were mixed bloods and not indiginess to the British islands. So why would faeries look like them? Unless some of you have personally seen a live faery from Britain why would they look a certain way...????

Anyway, I have been told some of the French can have fairly dark skin and what about those Black Irish, now admittedly they are probably not as dark as Africans and not quite Asian looking, but the models were probably picked do to the qualities they had that matched the intent of the faeries their representing.

I love colorful oracles as well, but the water color affect looks lovely to me and really helps with the feel of a older time. The art really reflects the feel of the time period to me, especial the animal cards are like the sketches and water colors I have seen of older art work possibly of the time or near then.

I to feel not much of Avalon is shared in the booklet, but it is a oracle and they seem to focus on giving a starting place. The Booklet is still very helpful with the individual meanings and possibilities.

6 Haunted Days

Some faeries look like humans, most don't. If these were supposed to be elementals then they wouldn't look human at all.

There are 1,000's of different types of faeries indigenous to every country. My area of expertise is the British Isles, so no I've never come across any descriptions of African or Asian faeries in the traditional works or contemporary workings. There are plenty of African and Asian faeries though not as many or as known as the European ones. Im very involved in the Faery Faith and Faery Seership (mainly R.J Stewart and Orion Foxwood). I was just curious as this deck was presented as steeped in Avalon lore and myth...and those myths and lore is surrounding a very specific area of Britian why they chose faeries from other lands and cultures and not used ones specific to the region.

My mini review of course is just one person's opinion. I like certain aspects of watercolour, but usually find it's too washed out and pale for me, hazy. Kind of reminds me of the Legend: Arthurian Tarot which I like but the hazy indistinct watercolour in that bothers me too. Some love it!

As Wolfspirit said this is a very pretty and useful oracle which I think they thought to stick the Avalon title and such on it...it sells well. My review was coming from expecting a deck and booklet stepped in the "Wisdom of Avalon".

faunabay

WolfSpirit said:
Yet you were looking at a deck called the Wisdom of Avalon. You are not a collector by any chance, are you ? ;)

:D No, as a matter of fact I was looking at this deck IN SPITE of the name. (giggle) When I first saw the name I didn't give it much thought. But then somewhere came across some pictures and thought I might be able to use it - even though it was about Avalon. LOL

I especially like the 4 elemental based fairies. And agree with 6 Haunted Days that there are ALL sorts of fairies who look extremely different. If these were true elementals they wouldn't have any human features at all. Or to be more exact, they would only be slightly human like - if they wanted to!! :*

Chronata

I totally agree with you girls...thay could have (and probably should have) called this oracle by any other name.
It really doesn't have much to do with Avalon at all.

Still...I like!