Tarot vs. Religion

mj07

Macavity said:
"The Brethren believe all that is written is the word of God... The Bible is their one standard, and to that the constantly appeal. The know nothing about the acts of Parliament, articles of religion, catechisms, or rules drawn up. The Bible, and nothing but the Bible, is their guide."

Edward Crowley (1865 - Member of the Plymouth Brethren)

...and Father to a somewhat wayward Son? :D

Macavity
hee hee! somehow that makes me feel SO much better about being the daughter of a Baptist minister! maybe there's hope for me yet?? :D

Phoenyx*

I had an experience yesterday, that has sort of scared me for my decks. My mom, who is normally okay about my decks, suddenly said they were evil. And with her ultra-conservative husband moving back in, this has me worried for my decks, especially since I live with them. Right now, I'm trying to get together a listing of all the "occult" books and decks I have, and try to find a hiding space for them that is still within the house.

*sighs* I hate to have to do this, especially when I thought everything was okay.

Aura Wolf

Triquetra said:
I had an experience yesterday, that has sort of scared me for my decks. My mom, who is normally okay about my decks, suddenly said they were evil. And with her ultra-conservative husband moving back in, this has me worried for my decks, especially since I live with them. Right now, I'm trying to get together a listing of all the "occult" books and decks I have, and try to find a hiding space for them that is still within the house.

*sighs* I hate to have to do this, especially when I thought everything was okay.

I'm sorry to hear that Triquetra. Maybe you could try to explain to her why tarot can't be evil? Even if she doesn't listen, at least you tried..

retrokat

As mentioned earlier by JMD, many of the founders of early tarot were also staunch Catholics (even families whose members included popes!). I'm not a Christian myself, but I found Christian symbolism very important when developing my own tarot deck.

There are legends and archetypes that have universal attraction, that are part of our (Western) combined cultural memory - some of these symbols appeared in decks such as RWS and Marseilles, and I brought in more elements into play as well when I was constructing my deck. St Francis of Assisi, the Garden of Eden, God Creating the Animals, the Nativity etc - you don't have to be a Christian for these stories, whether you believe them to be literal or metaphorical, to have resonance.

I hope that the Christian iconography that I've used helps Christians to use the deck in a way that feels right for them (say, for contemplation and prayer). For the rest of us, it's an acknowledgment of the part these symbols play in the development of modern society, regardless of our personal religious beliefs.

In regards to Islam, hmmm... perhaps I should try making a deck without people in it? I like a challenge!

Imagemaker

In regards to Islam, hmmm... perhaps I should try making a deck without people in it?

Would this also mean that the deck couldn't have a hand, as in the Aces, or any body parts?

I can see how the essence of many cards could be depicted with an object only--tower hit by lightening, broken swords--but there is a sense of action that is lost when the human element is removed.

A worthy challenge!

Alissa

My Islamic understanding is certainly incomplete, but I believe it is forbidden to reproduce any of the natural creatures in Allah's world, not just humans.

Therefore, representations of animals and possibly even plants and flowers, would also be off limits in a strictly Islamic illustratated deck.

Talk about a challenge... that would be a tough deck to create.

Imagemaker

And I can see how any form of illustration of objects could be interpreted as showing a face or another "shape" and susceptible to condemnation.

Perhaps a "keywords only" Islamic Tarot?

DewDrop

Triquetra said:

I know a drastic way of protecting your things, but as i said it is drastic; you can buy some kind of box with a lock, it can be wood, metall or any kind of material that you find in your liking. It should not be a small box becaus that draws the attention and makes realy no change.
Get a big one; for exsampel there is these big ones of wood with metal edges that the sailors used in old times and the newmerried had their stuff in, they usually have a big lock with a big black key. U can use it as a table in your room with a tablecloth over. Your mother would hopefully like the table and not think more about whats in it.
And in extreme cases if they throw it out the window or try to burn it up, your thing will not get hurt and ofcours be perfectly safe.

Aura Wolf

Ellie79 said:
I know a drastic way of protecting your things, but as i said it is drastic; you can buy some kind of box with a lock, it can be wood, metall or any kind of material that you find in your liking. It should not be a small box becaus that draws the attention and makes realy no change.
Get a big one; for exsampel there is these big ones of wood with metal edges that the sailors used in old times and the newmerried had their stuff in, they usually have a big lock with a big black key. U can use it as a table in your room with a tablecloth over. Your mother would hopefully like the table and not think more about whats in it.
And in extreme cases if they throw it out the window or try to burn it up, your thing will not get hurt and ofcours be perfectly safe.

Hey, good idea! :D I mean, if you need it.

Nevada

Dead Star,

I used to sell some products related to astrology at a swap meet (flea market), and I recall many people coming up and trying to "save" us, sometimes in groups. They were mostly young adults with a sort of glazed over look in their eyes that indicated to me they were pretty much brainwashed to behave this way. In any case, it's rude. It has less to do with religion than it does with intolerance. Yes, it's a little frightening, because when carried to extreme this kind of sentiment can result in abuse (of the sort Indigo Rose mentions against her father), violence or hate crimes, and even terrorism and war. But it's not just a Christian thing. It's bigotry, and it's global in occurrence. It's based on fear and lack of independent thinking. These are for the most part people who quite sadly are not thinking through their religion, but are blindly following a fear-based dogma that others are feeding them. Very sad, but really more sad for them than for you. You have the clearsightedness to question and to find the path that's right for you.

((((Indigo Rose))))
So sorry to hear about your dad's passing.

Nevada