Changes to standard images...bother you much?

greatdane

I had to laugh at the DARTBOARD, SunChariot!

Yes, that is what I meant. That an image goes so far astray as you look at it and go...???

Funny, but Lenormand is visual to me as well as tarot being visual. Visual in perhaps a different way or for a different reason. Visual in that I can just LOOK at a Lenormand card, see FOX and think of the meaning or meanings I have for that card. If I see COW in place of DOG, it would be like, I'm sorry, what?

So yes, you get what I mean. I loved the DARTBOARD for BOUQUET. That cracked me up!

SunChariot

Or there would only be one deck and what a drag that would be :). My question really is not if one likes the Cross or the Clover image, but really changing the image where you can't TELL what card it is supposed to represent. Does that bother Lenormand readers? If there was a deck that had a zig zag for the Cross, a Lion for the FOX, would that bother you? It bothers me. I just want to look at the card that is the FOX and see a FOX. If I wanted to read an oracle or playing cards, it wouldn't matter. But in Lenormand there are images I expect to see. Now, I may not LIKE the way an image is presented. You mentioned you didn't care for that CROSS, but you knew it was the CROSS. So my question, does changing the basic image so it is no longer recognizable as that image bother Lenormand readers.

That actually would not bother me that much, zigzag instead as it is all symbolic to me. If the numbers were there, I have managed to memorize the numbers. LOL

But yeah a lion instead of a fox would be somewhat annoying as different animals have different qualities and that ought to change the meaning. I don't want my Lenormand meanings to change.

But, I just got my first 3 days ago, My Gilded Reverie Lenormand. And I have to say I am happy with it. Everything seems to be portrayed as what it is. :heart:

Babs

Ryver

Funny, but Lenormand is visual to me as well as tarot being visual. Visual in perhaps a different way or for a different reason.

My reading includes something along the lines of the saying "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" meaning sometimes if the crossroads card comes up, it implies an actual road instead of a choice and sometimes it goes beyond the symbol to its basic shape to describe something. I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, forgive me if I lost track or get redundant.

Teheuti

Most of this is in response to SunChariot:
There's a great variety of cartomancy decks that emerged in the late 18th and throughout the 19th century, many of which have overlapping images and which are often read similarly - lay out all the cards and find the signficator, reading what surrounds it and out from there. Change six cards and you have the Whitman's Old Gypsy deck, add 16 cards and you have the Gypsy Witch deck, the European Gypsy cards feature more people, etc.

However, some modern Lenormand decks are getting stranger and stranger - just bursts of color and design. Personally, I don't find that at all satisfying.

Lenormand and Tarot are different to me. ...
I read something yesterday that made sense to me. That Tarot is visual, which Lenormand is verbal.

I differentiate Tarot and Lenormand as symbolic versus emblematic. It's not quite the same thing as visual versus verbal, which I don't think quite captures the nuances involved. I see "symbolic" as infinitely multi-valenced (ala Jung & Campbell), whereas emblems were designed to have a narrow and specific range of meanings, so that when would look at a painting it could be "read" by referring to the significances in a book of emblems (used religiously by many artists since the 16th century).

greatdane

So I guess this means you prefer more standard images?

Just going back to my question, I was curious if readers prefer the standard images and from your last post, it appears you do?

Teheuti

Your original question(s)
• I like a Lenormand card to have the symbol of the card easily visible, but what about CHANGING that image?
Depends on how much it is changed.

• How interchangeable do you think images should be and still be called Lenormand?
I prefer that the main image is easily recognizable as the type of item found in the 19th century decks.

• IS there a standard Lenormand image in your mind?
A comparison among early decks (19th century and the Game of Hope) shows they are not exactly the same. Are the Mice on the table or not? Does the Fox have a chicken in his mouth? What is the Child playing with? These details are not vitally important to me, but, because I associate Birds with the number 2, I prefer there to be two birds (it's not a deal-breaker). I want the Rider on the horse to be male.

• How much wiggle room do they have to "substitute" symbols as far as what you like? For you, do you like variety (like scissors, axe, anything sharp for the SCYTHE) or do you like your Lenormand straight up with no twist?
A tiny twist may be okay (but maybe not)! I much prefer a scythe to scissors, and a birchrod and/or whip to a broom. Scythe can include harvest as a meaning and so scissors just doesn't work there. And I prefer not to have the Man card show a man walking a dog - please don't confuse two cards!!! Lilies and Bouquet should be clearly different. I don't like a "bridge crossing" instead of a cross for the Cross card.

These are only my preferences. I don't expect anyone else to go along with them.

greatdane

Thank you Teheuti

I think that summed up your preferences really well. And I know we all have our preferences. Even if we CAN read with certain, or any, decks, there are decks it seems we all like better. Even if we came to the same reading with a deck we don't like as well as one we do, why not go with what pleases us more?