Is Tarot like a Ouiji board?

ravenest

Why be freaked out by something that is loving? Isn't that a rejection of love?

Why is there a need to make anything of it? The truth is, not all of us are alive at the moment. Those of us who aren't don't have bodies. Doesn't mean they're not here. It all seems perfectly normal to me. And if YOU need a body to do something (say, to harm someone else), so do they. So harm is not a big thing.

Why people get screwed-up by contact with spirits is down to their own attitudes and psychology. If you have a healthy outlook (these people are real, they're between lives, they're not here to hurt anyone), then no harm will come to you. I honestly don't know why people fuss so much.

Because so called 'spirits' are not just 'people who were once alive'.

Because there is a vast difference between like that beautiful (and radiating a blissful , peaceful, calm energy the ) 'old lady ghost' did in my friends flat at Bondi to other sorts that fulfil a VERY different 'function' ... like a crocodile does in the material world.

Like I said ... one better know what one is doing! And with what, where and whom.

and to repeat what I wrote elsewhere the other day;

ravenest said:
Hang on, its okay ..... I got him ... stand back everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw85IagnKu8

Also because maybe you have never been exposed to the tragedy of the bad results. I cant fault your stance though that bad things wont come of it unless you allow them to have power over you and submit to it (sorry if that's a misquote - I'm being lazy )

BUT

Some people cant help that ... okay, thats in the same range ... they SHOULD be able to help it ... but, say, can a person with a mental problem help it ? Can one really be totally blamed from things like psychological and (at times within the church) spiritual damage, admittedly accepted ( on some level ) as influential , but also projected at them from some where / one else ?

Perhaps you and I could open Pandora's Box and have a look ... but for others ...

DO NOT OPEN THAT BOX !

Some spiritual teachers and occults have said to keep the box shut ... as that is a persons 'natural state' ... all this stuff should be sealed up in the depths of the psyche and we are best to leave it alone. Others say like Rudolf Steiner (surprisingly ), Swedenborg , etc that it is best to be forearmed and forewarned (but that is because they teach one how to go further and deeper into the psyche).

ravenest

Actually, your 'Pandora's Box' should arrive Monday or Tuesday :laugh:

nisaba

I'm scared to open it, now. There might be bats, or bones, or something in it.

But no, whatever our takes on "spirits" and our experiences with them, Tarot does not, in-and-of-itself, summon spirits or invite them or give them loopholes. Humans do.

ShinyAeon

Is Tarot like a Ouija board? I would say that, in my experience, the short answer is "no."

The longer answer is tied up with the question of, "what exactly is divination?" Which in turn is intimately linked with the question of "what is the nature of reality? How does the universe 'work?'"

~~~~

There is a certain streak of thinking in some Fundamentalist Christian viewpoints that anything seemingly paranormal or supernatural must be caused by some sort of uncanny "power," which can only come from one of two sources: God or Satan. Such power is called "spirit" by some, and thought to be transmitted by disembodied entities, or "spirits." Spirits can only be from Heaven or from Hell. Therefore, goes the logic, anything that seems miraculous must be either holy or diabolic, with no middle ground between.

Of course, "paranormal" and "supernatural" (literally "beyond the normal" or "above the natural") seem, in practice, to mean anything that appears to be beyond what we humans currently understand well.

Divination, or fortune-telling, doesn't seem possible by the current state of human knowledge; therefore, divination must be caused by supernatural means (that is, by spirits). Using Tarot, by this theory, is a method of getting information that must be coming from spirits; the Ouija board is a method of summoning spirits. Therefore, fortune-telling and spirit-summoning must be practically the same thing.

So, IF that's your only model of reality, then yes, you'd have no choice except to assume that Tarot and Ouija are very much like each other.

~~~~

...but in my own personal experience, Tarot doesn't seem to involve spirits at all. I've had a little experience with spirits...very little, true, but (I think) enough to recognize a certain "feel" to the energy of a room when they're around and actively taking parts in things, at least some of the time. I've never gotten that feeling with Tarot.

As for how Tarot works, if not by spirits, well, there are several competing hypotheses...

One is that we humans, being possessed of a soul, are in fact part spirit; and that whatever knowledge spirits can access, we can theoretically access as well, due to our very nature. Of course, most of the time we're so distracted by physical reality that we can't really distinguish those bits of knowledge; and that Tarot and other divination methods are a way of "distracting" the parts of our mind that are stuck in the material level, so that some of those other bits of knowledge can squeeze through.

Another theory is that Tarot is a way of trying to pick up patterns from the fabric of reality. You know how fractal equations form the same patterns in small scale that they do in large scale? Well, one model of the universe theorizes that patterns of events behave in a similar way: that large-scale events might be mirrored in small-scale ones. Randomized results might reflect those patterns, so by studying the one, you can gain some glimpse of the other.

Another theory is that Tarot works by natural laws that we just don't understand yet. People in former times didn't understand the forces of weather, or disease, or earthquakes, or other perfectly natural phenomena; therefore, they ascribed them to spirits: gods and devas and daemons and faerie-folk and whatnot. But now we can observe things beyond our own human senses, and consequently we know a bit about the behavior of the atmosphere, the lives of bacteria, and the effects of plate tectonics; what was once "paranormal" or "supernatural" are now seen as entirely normal and natural. Therefore, it's likely that Tarot and other seemingly uncanny things will, one day, be understood...we simply haven't developed the measuring devices yet to detect their causes.

And then, of course, there's the "agnostic" viewpoint, which goes, "I have no idea how it works, and until human knowledge catches up, I'm not going to speculate. But since it does seem to work, I'll use it and see what information I can get from it."

I tend to vacillate among all of those...and I'm sure there are many, many more hypotheses that I'm not familiar enough with to mention here. The point I'm trying to make is that just because we don't know what causes something doesn't mean that it has to be spirit of some sort (OR that spirits can only be holy or unholy, for that matter).

Tarot and Ouija can only really be considered the same thing if you accept a certain narrow view of reality as absolutely true; otherwise, they seem to behave by different rules, and have different results. If you lump everything "not known" together and assume it's all related, then of course they both fall into that category; but I believe the history of knowledge and how we gain it argues against such an idea. The only safe assumption about the unknown is not to assume anything about it at all, but to wait and see what we may learn about it in the fullness of time.