The View from the Other Side

Caristia

I've been wondering what our deceased loved ones know about us. Are they aware of the details of our day-to-day lives, or do they just perceive general feelings of happiness, sadness, pain, etc.?

Do they share our joy, get angry or frustrated with us?

Milfoil

From limited experience, it would seem that some are closer to us than others. Some sense more than others and have different reasons for being close to us.

What I've noticed that they don't seem to be aware of or interested in are the day to day, mundane stuff like taking a shower, doing the washing up etc.

Zephyros

I think they give up the burden of this world, they are done and finished, and they deserve it. It is the living who cling to the importance of this world and its problems, but those who have returned to a state of union with the universe are probably on a different plane altogether. Again, I feel they deserve not to be hampered by our petty problems. I don't see this as sad, but a fulfillment of our being, a gift, the knowledge that we are not chained to this vale of tears forever.

Caristia

From limited experience, it would seem that some are closer to us than others. Some sense more than others and have different reasons for being close to us.

What I've noticed that they don't seem to be aware of or interested in are the day to day, mundane stuff like taking a shower, doing the washing up etc.

This all makes a lot of sense to me. I can certainly understand why gran would be much more interested in the fact that my sister has had a baby than in the new shoes her neighbour bought. That's how it would be if she was alive. While I never really thought that the departed could peer into our lives as if viewing it on a webcam, I do sometimes get this feeling of being watched...

I think they give up the burden of this world, they are done and finished, and they deserve it. It is the living who cling to the importance of this world and its problems, but those who have returned to a state of union with the universe are probably on a different plane altogether. Again, I feel they deserve not to be hampered by our petty problems. I don't see this as sad, but a fulfillment of our being, a gift, the knowledge that we are not chained to this vale of tears forever.

This makes sense too though I like to think that the deceased still maintain some sort of connection with the living. It makes the separation seem less complete and final. OTOH, I know that my husband would be very upset if he could see how I'm struggling to cope with the mess I've been left with, so perhaps being free from attachments to this world is a good thing.

jcwirish

This is a very interesting topic. I've asked this question many times myself. Having had some experiences in the last few years, I'd say that, yes, they are aware of what's happening in our lives, and can intervene or help guide us when necessary. I don't believe it's all they do however. I think the spirit continues to learn and evolve even on the other side. They aren't concerned with the everyday mundane things that cause us stress and anxiety here, but I do believe that they may try to help us recognize the uselessness of unnecessary worry and anxiety. They can try to encourage us to see better ways to cope and move forward towards our goals.

An interesting thing happened just this morning that I think may be pertinent to this conversation. I have a 7 year old son. This morning when he woke up, he told me he had had a strange dream. My grandmother, his great-grandmother, has been sick lately. He calls her Nana No No. He said that Nana No No's daddy had come and was talking with my mother (his grandmother). I hope this isn't too confusing. Anyway, Nana No No's daddy was talking to my mother. My son couldn't see his face or anything. He said he was tall, but that his face was a bit of a blur. After he was done talking to my mom, he came over and was asking my son some questions.

That's all he could really remember. Keep in mind that the man he was referring to, my great grandfather, died long before even I was born. I've never mentioned him to my son. I don't really know much about him anyway. My son has never even asked a question about this person.

A couple of hours later, I spoke with my mom who informed me that Nana No No had passed away this morning. So, my son had a dream about her father coming to speak with my mom just hours before my grandmother actually died this morning. I think this is very interesting. I wonder if he was coming to help grandma cross over, and stopped for a visitation in my son's dream. strange huh? I don't know if this will mean anything to any of you, but I find the timing of these events to be more than just coincidental. It's something to ponder anyway.

celticnoodle

I've been wondering what our deceased loved ones know about us. Are they aware of the details of our day-to-day lives, or do they just perceive general feelings of happiness, sadness, pain, etc.?

Do they share our joy, get angry or frustrated with us?

Its been my experience that our deceased loved ones do know about us--even those who lived and died long before we were even born or even thought of! My husbands great great grandmother came through for me in a psychic reading, and has appeared to me a few times as well, and seems to know what is going on in our lives. she seems to like me, :D and I was told, she is watching over me, which is a comforting thought. :D she was an interesting lady in life, (I found out in my genealogy research).

Also, my grandmother and other relatives came through before my niece was married--to remark that they would be there at the wedding. They didn't really "approve" of whom she was marrying---(Long story) but they did tell us that he was going to be very good to her, and so they were happy for that). So I let my niece know they were all coming, (not about them not being thrilled with who she was marrying though) and she had a candle there on the altar- in honor of all the deceased relatives from both her and her soon to be husbands side).

My maternal grandmother and my maternal aunt and my dad - come up to me often, as do other deceased relatives--and they seem to always know what is going on. They often come to tell me what is happening with family far from me, so I can be in touch with them, which always makes those family members laugh. Once my father fell and had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance-and was bad off. My nanny came to me at 2am and woke me up and told me. (he had fallen right about 1:45 am! So, I called at I think 7am-and my family confirmed it, but surprised that I already knew.

Also, my inlaws are always in our home with us. We have pictures in a collage frame of my inlaws when they were babies, then dating and through out their life. My mother in law thinks it is so funny that we did that--and sometimes not so sure she likes all the pictures of herself in my living room. But, it brings her to us often. And, both the hubby & I look at it daily and talk to them.

I always tell my clients after I do a psychic reading, that your deceased loved ones are always around you. They may not be able to appear to you--or have you 'hear' them, etc. but, they ARE there. It does help them too, if you talk to them (out loud or telepathically) and I encourage everyone to do this on a regular basis. I do talk to mine all the time, and those whose pictures are hanging up (we have a wall with a lot of ancestor pictures too), whenever I am cleaning, dusting the pictures, or just happen to walk past them. I believe that this helps them to make contact with us too.

So, if you need to "talk" about something important, or just want to remember them -- whether or not you really 'knew' them in life--DO SO! They will do their best to make contact with you--so also be 'aware' of things, but always know - they are around. :)

also, good post and yes, JCWIrish!

jcwirish

Hey CN! I was hoping you might reply to this thread. :)

Thanks for sharing your stories!

I've been speaking to Grandma since she passed yesterday, because I believe she can hear me, or at least sense that I'm thinking about her. I also found that certain childhood memories came back to me in vivid detail, and it felt as if Grandma were sharing them with me.

celticnoodle

:D

she probably was, JC! :D Maybe SHE was reminding YOU of those days!
keep it up! She'll be hearing you and it'll make her feel good too-knowing that she is NOT forgotten.
She is at peace now, but she will also hold onto her feelings for all of you and will be checking in on you all. :)

jcwirish

:D

she probably was, JC! :D Maybe SHE was reminding YOU of those days!
keep it up! She'll be hearing you and it'll make her feel good too-knowing that she is NOT forgotten.
She is at peace now, but she will also hold onto her feelings for all of you and will be checking in on you all. :)

Caristia

jcwirish, my condolences on the loss of your grandmother. What a remarkable incident with your son, though. I've often wondered if this type of communication is easier for children than it is for adults.

CN, thanks for sharing your experiences. It must be wonderful to have this kind of contact. Sometimes a thought will pop into my head and it seems like something my husband would be trying to say to me. I do admit that I've talked to him though I questioned my sanity while doing so. :) I'm not at the stage where I can deal with pictures just yet (found an old holiday pic in my scanner this morning and it set off a round of tears), but I will eventually try that.

Also, CN, your account of your niece's wedding has got me thinking...do the deceased move beyond their less pleasant earthly emotions, such as anger, fear, and sadness, or do they react the same way they would if they were alive?