The View from the Other Side

Richard

From our earthly personal perspective, it may be a comforting thought that our loved ones are concerned about us, but they are in another category of existence (if that is the right way to put it) and should feel free to pursue whatever is appropriate to their new state of being. Yes, it may be that certain spirits remain present in this world, but I don't think that it is for the purpose of guiding or directing us along the way of wisdom.

Why should a human being suddenly and miraculously acquire omniscience after death? They may be wiser than I, on account of their earthly age before they passed, but why should they suddenly become endowed with the miraculous ability to infallibly direct my life. I entrust that to my HGA ("thy will be done" as it is expressed in the Lord's Prayer of the Christians).

Milfoil

From our earthly personal perspective, it may be a comforting thought that our loved ones are concerned about us, but they are in another category of existence (if that is the right way to put it) and should feel free to pursue whatever is appropriate to their new state of being. Yes, it may be that certain spirits remain present in this world, but I don't think that it is for the purpose of guiding or directing us along the way of wisdom.

Why should a human being suddenly and miraculously acquire omniscience after death? They may be wiser than I, on account of their earthly age before they passed, but why should they suddenly become endowed with the miraculous ability to infallibly direct my life. I entrust that to my HGA ("thy will be done" as it is expressed in the Lord's Prayer of the Christians).

Wouldn't that depend on whether one believes in an abrahamic God and Angels etc? Not everybody does. There are many different beliefs, some of the oldest, most diverse and widespread recognise our ancestors as advisors and helpers. That's not to say that they are perfect and Divine in nature though.

Richard

Wouldn't that depend on whether one believes in an abrahamic God and Angels etc? Not everybody does. There are many different beliefs, some of the oldest, most diverse and widespread recognise our ancestors as advisors and helpers. That's not to say that they are perfect and Divine in nature though.
Excellent point! I'm not disputing that at all. Merely rendering a personal opinion, no doubt influenced by an Abrahamic religious upbringing. (I was fortunate not to have any psychological trauma associated with Christianity. It seems that many ATers have been adversely affected by extremist religious sects. I have been tempted to start a thread about that, but I am loathe to open up old wounds.)