how many spread cloths have you got?

SolSionnach

No, though I've thought of getting a black velvet one, especially if I get more into Sylvie's method of choosing cards in the Lenormand. She chooses from a fan of the cards, and it's hard for me to get them to fan unless they are on a surface with some bite!

Then again, maybe I'll just do the shuffle/cut/draw off the top as per usual. Then I wouldn't need a spread cloth.

As for black - I don't want anything to detract from the cards, and I love how colors "pop" up against black. :)

Le Fanu

Im surprised by some of these posts!

I thought that everyone would have huge collections of different spread cloths for every occasion.

And yes, sravana, I do think black (preferably velvet and lined on the underside) works by far the best...

ScaryFairy

Le Fanu said:
Im surprised by some of these posts!

I thought that everyone would have huge collections of different spread cloths for every occasion.

And yes, sravana, I do think black (preferably velvet and lined on the underside) works by far the best...

Just out of interest, what do you mean by works best?

Sinduction

I have quite a few

One is red with a gold dragon on it, that someone here made... their name escapes me and I feel horrible about that!!! The other side is red satin. It's beautiful!

I have the white one from the transparent.

I have one that I got in an exchange. It's got all kinds of colors and gold suns on it. I ended up lining it in white so it's interchangeable. That's the one I use the most.

I have a ton of crocheted ones that I made and am in the process of making.

I have a black velvet table cloth on my tarot table so I don't really need a spread cloth when I'm at home but I use one anyway.

I read a lot in a bar with sticky tables so I always have at least on cloth with me. I wish I could sew so I could make my own. Someday I will take a sewing class so I can sew bags too. It would be so much faster than crocheting them.

Le Fanu

ScaryFairy said:
Just out of interest, what do you mean by works best?

O nothing mysterious! Sets off the colours perfectly, doesn´t distract from the cards, shows the colours at their best and - if it is lined, thus heavier - it doesn´t lift up when you turn the cards and wrinkle the cloth...

Just better all round I find...

canid

I have lots. I love silk-I find them at thrift stores. But I rarely use one! I'll drape them over a lampshade or use one for effect if I'm reading at my local bar, but it's usually just my bedspread or bare tabletop. I'll also cut them up to make bags. I just love the feel of silk.

Cat*

I have several big ones. However, I usually call them bedspread, sheet, rug, or carpet, respectively. :D

My exchange readings are all done on my wooden desk, my personal readings are laid out on one of the big "spread cloths" mentioned above.

I have one very pretty "real" spreadcloth (one side has a light floral pattern in orange, pink and green, the other is a matching dark green) which thorhammer has made to accompany a bag from the same fabrics. I hardly ever use it, though, and if I do, I always put the green side up because I get distracted by too many patterns.

Maybe I'd use more spreadcloths if I read more on (potentially) dirty surfaces. In that case, I would always pick a dark solid color and a thick-ish, non-slippery fabric, but would never use crushed velvet because I can't help thinking it looks cheap.

Grizabella, if you ever finish the crazy quilt one(s), please please please post pictures!

The crowned one

Two, one is big enough for 4 or 5 cards and a huge one from KK, and it is a beauty.

I guess I should mention I have never used a clothe for reading publicly. But I did us KK's a few times for myself.

HearthCricket

Yep, I am the one who has one for every occasion and have about 30+ different cloths, all from Tarot Totes. I never used to use them, and don't always (depending on where I am reading from) but I have found them protective and useful, as well as nice for setting an atmosphere. Clients like them. I think they appreciate the little extras to make the experience more "mystical". At any rate, I enjoy them and always on the lookout for another that might catch my eye or seemingly go well with a particular deck.

For example, something black and silver would look nice with the BG. I would also like more blues with silvers and golds.

afrosaxon

Four...or is it five?

--double-sided royal blue/aquarium motif spreadcloth , made for me by Lewen
--double-sided green/rust/brown/gold//light green/beige/light gold spreadcloth, made for me by AJ
--double-sided navy blue velvet w/ floral appliques/purple spreadcloth, made for me by moderndayruth
--white crocheted spreadcloth, made for me by moderndayruth
--double-sided magenta satin/navy blue paisley//navy blue satin small rectangular spreadcloth (good for 3-card spreads), made for me by moderndayruth (and matches the magenta/paisley tarot bag)

There is also a crocheted washcloth, made for me by Vladaria, that I think is too nice to wash myself with...so I use it for the cards. ;)

T.